I don't get slap- stick humor. I just don't find it funny.  But I know that the general public would disagree with me.

I don't like seafood at all, but I know many, many people who love it.

Other things I don't get the hype around are steak, martinis, pranks, casinos, amusement parks, and trivia. No judgement of others who do "get" these things, but I just don't.

This week's question is:

Can you name a few things that you just don't like despite popular opinion?


Comments

Ben said…
Things I don't get.

1. Shows/movies that make you cry- Why do you want to take time/money just to make you feel bad?
3. Kardashians/Real Housewives
4.People who move their car seats way up, especially in the passenger side when there is no one behind you. Why wouldn't you take all the room you can get.
5. Pictures of food.
6. Baths
7. Quiet time
8. Dark Chocolate
9. Pasta
10. Pinterest
11. Hiking

By the way, I think I know who those "other people"/person might be. :)
Leslie said…
Your list made me laugh.

I completely agree with you on about half of them, but some of the others are just funny to me. Are numbers 7, 9, and 10 referring to me? :)
Shannon said…
As I thought about this, I realized my list makes me sound like a cranky old lady ....

Twitter
Justin Bieber
Taylor Swift
motorcycles
cruises
massages
3-D t.v./movies
Blu-Ray
beer/wine (I've tried to make these happen for me and they just don't...)
sherbert/sorbet
steak
lobster
oysters
Family Guy
Spending a day at the beach

I agree with a good number on your list too, Leslie -- casinos, amusement parks, though I do enjoy a good martini :). Ben -- I totally move the passenger side seat up as far as it goes, and put the seat as upright as it will go. I can't stand to have it way back!

Shannon said…
oh, and coffee. And dubstep. See? Cranky old lady ;)
The cranky old lady alert continues. I agree with lots of your suggestions except for wine, oysters, massages and coffee...I think that would be my perfect day!
Here's my list:
-NASCAR
-Honey Boo-Boo
-Talk radio (right or left leaning, it doesn't matter, I can't take the arguing)
-Horror Movies (Saw and any devil movies...yikes!)
-Expensive high fashion items like high heeled shoes & purses
-Shopping in general, especially at outlet malls
-Amusement parks and water parks
-Gages (those earrings that create giant holes in earlobes)
-Flat bill ball caps...why do they irritate me so much when regular ball caps don't? Can you tell I spend a lot of time around teenagers?
Chad said…
1. Soup
2. Books
3. Take and Bake Pizza
4. People eating cold pizza
5. Any "reality tv" except Big Brother
6. Sushi
7. People who leave 1 sec on the microwave.
8. 97% of music
9. All art
10. Candy that is not chocolate
11. Plain Chocolate bars
12. Cell phones
Bridget said…
these answers make me last All you grumpy old people :-)

so now my grumpy list:

Slap- stick comedy
Cartoons especially Looney Tunes (I attribute this to the above)
Crocs (on adults)
Ikea Furniture
George Clooney (thats for my mom and Barb)
Jennifer Garner
Shrimp
Gambling
Space- I can be intrested in just about any educational program except ones about space.
Tommy Hilfiger - that's old school but I never got it
baseball MLB (going to games is fun)
The Sound of Music
The wizard of OZ - original
50 shades of grey - I havent read it so maybe I shouldn't judge
Twilight - also have not read it or seen the movies



Bridget said…
oh and I have to agree with shannon on 3-d movies and cruises.

I love steak and amusement parks!
Bridget said…
I meant make me laugh
Shannon said…
oooh Barb. Those were good ones. We also don't get the flat baseball bill thing around here! Heaven help me when my children are old enough to want to follow trends!
Bridget: That's fine, George can come over to my house instead.
Shannon: I guess this means we're not all going on a cruise together and wearing our flat bill hats!
Chad: Seriously? Do you not get all these things or did you just jot down a random list, LOL? Soup? WTH?
Leslie said…
Barb, Chad's thoughts on soup are worth hearing about in person sometime. I actually had him kind of in mind when I asked the question. :)
Anonymous said…
I have enjoyed this immensely, although all you fellow members of the grumpy old lady club have used up many on my list, e.g. amusement parks, cruises, NASCAR, Honey Boo Boo, expensive 4+" heels, Taylor Swift, and shopping. I would add the following:

1. Sweet Tea. It makes my teeth hurt to say it.
2. Soccer.
3. Hockey.
4. People who start their day with a Diet Coke, instead of a lovely, steaming cup of black coffee. (You know who you are.)
5. Deconstructed salads. I don't want a wedge of Romaine, a pile of cheese, and a dribble of anchovies and salad dressing. Toss the damned Caesar Salad for $8 bucks!
6. People who don't like dogs and cats. They are usually nicer than most people.
7. People who take their kids to expensive restaurants where they have no business being. Give your kids a break and everyone around them and take them to Chili's.
8. Hot dogs.
9. People who tell you they never read a book and are proud of it.
10. People who throw their trash out of their car. How can you tell yourself that it a good thing to do?
The End. Well, not really...
Sandi
Ben said…
Here is a list of things I like to cheer up this list a little.
1. Puppies
2. Pizza
3. Sunshine
4. Smiles
5. Children singing
6. The movie Elf
Anonymous said…
I think you are trying to subvert the grumpy old lady club, but I will add to your list.
1. Kitties.
2. Chocolate Chip Cookies.
3. Miniature donkeys.
4. Unicorns.
Happy? Sandi
Dad / Grandpa said…
O.K. I'll try this.

10 things I don't get...

1) Facebook. Some people write like they are talking to a shrink.

2) distressed furniture (it's rummage people)

3) Painted brick

4) Talk radio. Letting somebody anger me and not being able to respond.

5) Waiter/waitress asking how your food is the second your mouth is full.

6) Gas prices

7) That guy/gal that stands out front of the business and dances or waves to get people to look at them. Makes me want to run right home and get my tax information for them.

8) Political Action Committees. Who (besides politicians) ever thought it would be a good idea to be able to give money to politicians so they would vote your way.

9) High heels.

10) Two cheeseburgers, large order of fries and a diet coke.
Nini said…
I must be very shallow or not very grumpy - because I can only think of a few....
1.) Coffee - I try to drink it in the morning like a grown-up, but I'd really rather have a Diet Coke.
2.) Channing Tatum - He has nice abs and I haven't seen Magic Mike - but he doesn't do it for me.
3.) "Lord of the Rings", "The Hobbit" - any JRR Tolkein books or movies. Actually fantasy books or movies of any type.
4.)"The Wizard of Oz" - sort of like #3.
5.) Zumba - it doesn't seem like much of a workout and I am horrible at it.
6.) Fox News - because it is always on at my house!
7.)Dancing with the Stars, American Idol, The Voice - any of that genre of TV shows.

Maybe I am grumpier than I thought - that felt pretty good!!

I like amusement parks, water parks and Diet Coke with anything!
Erin said…
After a full day of shopping at the outlet mall I pulled through McDonalds to enjoy a diet coke with my fatty meal, I got home and took some quiet time to update my pinterest boards, eat some cold pizza and savor a cup of coffee (which sat on my distressed furniture to cool) I watched reality tv and then soaked in a bath. =)
I came up with this list of things that I don't get:

People who work in childcare or teach but don't really seem to enjoy being around children.

dry wine

seafood

roller coasters

scary movies and haunted houses

tattoos

rock music

atheists

people obsessed with politics

listening to talk radio or sports on the radio

cheesecake












Meaghan said…
Hahaha. These comments have really made me laugh. I have been mentally compiling a list here and there while walking around for work, and share a lot of the same gripes as others listed. So perhaps, WE are the popular opinion and everyone else is mistaken. :) Here's my list, broken into category:


People:
-Jim Carrey. His acting (or over-acting) makes my skin crawl
-Channing Tatum
-Jay Leno

Movies:
-Michael Bay movies (if I make a movie where the entire 2 hours is spent blowing things up, will I become rich and famous, too?)
-Awful books that could turned into equally awful movies (though I will admit I watched all the Twilight movies, I could not bring myself to read the books. The writing was horrendous. Ditto for Fifty Shades of Grey. I did read the first one, mainly because I kept expecting it to get better...it didn't. I don't plan to finish that trilogy!)

Food:
-Brazilian Steakhouses- just seems weird to me.
-Bananas. Gag. The texture...yuck
-Butterfingers
-Starbucks. I think their coffee tastes burnt. And it's ridiculously expensive.


Social Media:
-That 4 pictures, 1 word game
-Dumb grumpy cat pictures on Facebook with the phrases written on them
-Using Facebook as a platform to discuss/announce any of the following:
-your gym routine
-breastfeeding
-potty training
-political agendas

TV:
-Lizard Lick Towing, Honey Boo Boo, Duck Dynasty...these shows make the Kardashians look like scholars. (Not to say I dislike all reality TV...I really do love it. But even I can admit it's getting out of control these days!)


Shopping:
-TJ Maxx (whereas most of my family could spend HOURS in that store, I get anxiety. I am not into the thrill of the hunt when I'm shopping)
Bryan said…
Meaghan, it's a good thing we're not fb friends. My updates are all about breastfeeding and my potty training political agenda.
Ben it's always fascinated me that you don't get the benefits of alone time. I don't get people who have to talk continually.
Talk radio, especially sport related, drives me crazy. I love watching but poring over every little thing and endless speculation is a huge waste of time.
Bryan said…
Miniature donkeys make me sad. I'm sure they are jealous of their full size brethern.
Oh Bryan, your last comment just made me laugh! Meaghan, you and I should hang out more. I really hate bananas.
Anonymous said…
Bryan, I'd rather be around someone who was just a little ass and not a big ass.

Besides, did you see the video on FB? How you could not like miniature donkeys?
Sandi
One more I forgot about...those balls they hang on the back of pick-up trucks. What are those all about? The first time I saw one I thought it was a gay thing and then I reconsidered when I saw the guy driving. Could someone explain it to me?
Bryan said…
Barb, ask chad. He's the local expert on balls.

Popular Posts