The idea for this week's question of the week comes from my father-in-law who says that the three things one needs in life are paper towels, diet Coke, and plastic baggies. What are three non-essential essentials in your life?
Comments
Ben said…
Interesting. 1. Bar soap (preferred Yarley Oatmal & Almond)- I just do not feel clean if I use liquid soap or anything else.
2. Milk- I feel frantic if there is not milk in the house. The kids clearly devour it, but sometime nothing handles the job like milk (ie. peanut butter sandwhich, cerealor on top of ice cream)
3. A Pen- This isn't one that I have to have at all times, but when I need one and don't have one I go completely nuts. If I need to make a list, draw a picture for a house project or mark items off of shopping list and don't have a pen, I am not happy.
Bridget said…
I find Bens answer so funny because yardley oatmeal and almond (cocoa Butter if that is not availible) is the only soap I like to use. I also hate liquid soap for washing my body. I can only get it at Walgreens and now Kroger and I clear the shelf when I buy it. Such a strange thing to have in common!
It's also weird that he said pen because that was honestly on my list that I was formulating after reading the question. I would attribute this to the fact that you could never find a writing utensil in the Hedenberg house growing up, I don't know why and I think it is still that way. Try to find a pen at my mom and dads house when you need one, impossible.
here is my list (i am going to leave off the two above as to not be redundant)
1. Measuring spoons, cups and food scale - I am combining these because they all serve the same purpose perhaps it is the years on weight watchers and a mathmatical mind but I hate to guestimate serving sized (when I am being good) and weighing and measuring gives me a sense of control.
2. insulated cups - Do you have tervis cups? if not you should. I use them almost exclusively for everything except milk.
3. Humidifier - I sleep with one every night (because I am an old lady) it not only helps so I am not so dry in the morning but it creates great white noise which I desperatly need because I am such a light sleeper. some people use a far for the same reason but a fan dries the air out so much in the winter that we only use that in the summer
1.) I am TOTALLY with Bridget on the fan. I need it for the air circualtion and white noise or I can't sleep to save my life:) Bravo Bridget! I thought that was an idiosyncracy (sp?) I thought I only had. Glad to hear I have a partner in white noise :)
2.) A sketch pad for either myself or my family to journal lifes happenings or pictures of lifes happenings. I've been encouraging my kids to keep journals as I think they can give great insight to ones' mindset at the time of important (as well as day to day events).
3.) sour dill pickles. I know, that sounds so weird but they're my comfort food. Clausen brand to be specific. They're my "go to" snack.
4.) I would actually need a fourth as the ponytail holders would be an essential idea on my part what with long, baby fine hair that has a static electricity quality all it's own ;)
Have I mentioned Leslie how much I enjoy your questions of the week? :) Miss you all! xo Kate
Anonymous said…
I am also a member of the "white noise" club and the "air circulation" club, but I use a sound machine and turn on the ceiling fan, regardless of the season, so I will not include those. Ron and I prefer Grandpa's Oatmeal soap, so I won't include that either. 1. Reading glasses, preferably a pair in each room, or nothing gets done. 2. Coffee, black, first thing in the morning. 3. Gaviscon antacid tablets. Sandi
1. Liquid soap. I find bar soap pretentious. Only hipsters use it.
2. Wrist watch. I go a little crazy if I don't have one on.
3. Gum. This really only applies at work. I don't really know why. As I type I am out and it's driving me a little crazy.
Anonymous said…
Wow. I didn't know I was a hipster. I have been called a lot of things, but never a hipster... You did see that it was called "Grandpa's Oatmeal", didn't you? Sandi
1. Gum. I am paranoid about bad breath when I meet with doctors and nurses...and I tend to bite my nails so having gum keeps me from gnawing on my fingers. Gross habit, I know. 2. Chapstick. Not having access to Chapstick is a form of torture to me. I fixate on how dry my lips are, then lick them to get rid of the dry feeling, which in turn chaps them more. Vicious cycle...therefore I must have access to Chapstick at all times. 3. Ponytail holder. I have them stashed all over- beside the bed in the nightstand, in the junk drawer, in my desk at work, in the car, in my coat pockets, in my purse. I can think of nothing worse than really wanting to throw my hair up and off of my neck/face and not being able to!
4. iPhone. But truthfully, it's an essential essential. I use it everyday for calendar and email and phone while at work. So it shouldn't have to be counted here...but I admit I use it for lots of nonessential things in addition to the essential items. Namely Facebook, instagram, twitter, blitz, and voxer.
Comments
1. Bar soap (preferred Yarley Oatmal & Almond)- I just do not feel clean if I use liquid soap or anything else.
2. Milk- I feel frantic if there is not milk in the house. The kids clearly devour it, but sometime nothing handles the job like milk (ie. peanut butter sandwhich, cerealor on top of ice cream)
3. A Pen- This isn't one that I have to have at all times, but when I need one and don't have one I go completely nuts. If I need to make a list, draw a picture for a house project or mark items off of shopping list and don't have a pen, I am not happy.
It's also weird that he said pen because that was honestly on my list that I was formulating after reading the question. I would attribute this to the fact that you could never find a writing utensil in the Hedenberg house growing up, I don't know why and I think it is still that way. Try to find a pen at my mom and dads house when you need one, impossible.
here is my list (i am going to leave off the two above as to not be redundant)
1. Measuring spoons, cups and food scale - I am combining these because they all serve the same purpose perhaps it is the years on weight watchers and a mathmatical mind but I hate to guestimate serving sized (when I am being good) and weighing and measuring gives me a sense of control.
2. insulated cups - Do you have tervis cups? if not you should. I use them almost exclusively for everything except milk.
3. Humidifier - I sleep with one every night (because I am an old lady) it not only helps so I am not so dry in the morning but it creates great white noise which I desperatly need because I am such a light sleeper. some people use a far for the same reason but a fan dries the air out so much in the winter that we only use that in the summer
2. antibacterial hand wipes
3. ponytail holders
2.) A sketch pad for either myself or my family to journal lifes happenings or pictures of lifes happenings. I've been encouraging my kids to keep journals as I think they can give great insight to ones' mindset at the time of important (as well as day to day events).
3.) sour dill pickles. I know, that sounds so weird but they're my comfort food. Clausen brand to be specific. They're my "go to" snack.
4.) I would actually need a fourth as the ponytail holders would be an essential idea on my part what with long, baby fine hair that has a static electricity quality all it's own ;)
Have I mentioned Leslie how much I enjoy your questions of the week? :) Miss you all!
xo
Kate
1. Reading glasses, preferably a pair in each room, or nothing gets done.
2. Coffee, black, first thing in the morning.
3. Gaviscon antacid tablets.
Sandi
2. Wrist watch. I go a little crazy if I don't have one on.
3. Gum. This really only applies at work. I don't really know why. As I type I am out and it's driving me a little crazy.
You did see that it was called "Grandpa's Oatmeal", didn't you? Sandi
2. Chapstick. Not having access to Chapstick is a form of torture to me. I fixate on how dry my lips are, then lick them to get rid of the dry feeling, which in turn chaps them more. Vicious cycle...therefore I must have access to Chapstick at all times.
3. Ponytail holder. I have them stashed all over- beside the bed in the nightstand, in the junk drawer, in my desk at work, in the car, in my coat pockets, in my purse. I can think of nothing worse than really wanting to throw my hair up and off of my neck/face and not being able to!
4. iPhone. But truthfully, it's an essential essential. I use it everyday for calendar and email and phone while at work. So it shouldn't have to be counted here...but I admit I use it for lots of nonessential things in addition to the essential items. Namely Facebook, instagram, twitter, blitz, and voxer.