I just did something that I will probably regret for a while, but something I know will end up being a good thing.
I just deactivated my facebook account.
I have had a love/hate relationship with facebook for quite a while now. It has been really great to reconnect with some people I had lost track of- former college friends, former students, former classmates, and former colleagues. It has been nice to see and share family and travel pictures. It has been nice to easily communicate with groups of people when trying to plan an event like our recent canoe trip.
Unfortunately, though, facebook has also become a real time sucker for me. And despite my best intentions to check in only occasionally, each and every time I sit down near my laptop, I find myself wasting a good ten minutes or so on facebook. Ten minutes x 2 or 3 times a day= too much time wasted that could be spent in better ways.
I was actually going to deactivate my account on my birthday as a kind of a gift to myself (extra time in my day...), but then I realized it would be smarter to remain active until after the trip for planning and communicating with all of the people we spent time with.
But now we're home, the trip is over, and so is summer. The school year starts next week and I have some changes planned for what my days will look like. My hope is that Drew and I will get a little more active and involved in our new city and will spend less time in our playroom/office. Giving up facebook is just one tiny step in this direction.
I just deactivated my facebook account.
I have had a love/hate relationship with facebook for quite a while now. It has been really great to reconnect with some people I had lost track of- former college friends, former students, former classmates, and former colleagues. It has been nice to see and share family and travel pictures. It has been nice to easily communicate with groups of people when trying to plan an event like our recent canoe trip.
Unfortunately, though, facebook has also become a real time sucker for me. And despite my best intentions to check in only occasionally, each and every time I sit down near my laptop, I find myself wasting a good ten minutes or so on facebook. Ten minutes x 2 or 3 times a day= too much time wasted that could be spent in better ways.
I was actually going to deactivate my account on my birthday as a kind of a gift to myself (extra time in my day...), but then I realized it would be smarter to remain active until after the trip for planning and communicating with all of the people we spent time with.
But now we're home, the trip is over, and so is summer. The school year starts next week and I have some changes planned for what my days will look like. My hope is that Drew and I will get a little more active and involved in our new city and will spend less time in our playroom/office. Giving up facebook is just one tiny step in this direction.
Comments
Rachel, I am sure it is not such a time- sucker for everyone, it has just become that way for me. My problem is that I have somehow convinced myself that I don't have the time to work out, sew, or scrapbook, but I always seem to find the time to be on Facebook.
Funny how that works, huh?