writing samples
Last night I attended parent teacher conferences at the elementary school. I always enjoy attending conferences and hearing about what goes on during all of those hours that Gracie and Luke are away from me each day. I left last night with the reassurance that Gracie and Luke are learning a lot and getting along well with others. Both teachers complimented the kids on their character and each said that Gracie and Luke are good friends to their classmates. Music to this momma's ears!
My favorite part of the conferences, hands down, was seeing recent writing samples. I had seen some of the pieces before, but some were fun surprises. I was thrilled to hear that Luke's writing has improved dramatically since the fall parent teacher conference. His teacher showed me a few writing pieces that made me smile ear to ear. I wanted so, so badly to take them home with me to show Ben (who was out of town for work), but the teacher did not hand me a folder of work like Gracie's teacher did. He did say that Luke would receive a portfolio at the end of the year, so I guess I will have to wait until then.
I did, however, get to leave the school with a big bunch of papers from Gracie's teacher. I had so much fun looking over all of it in detail last night after I got the kids in bed. One of my favorites was her response to a prompt to write a letter to someone about a recent adventure. The style and word choice that she used in a letter to her siblings about her class ski trip really makes me smile.
January 17, 2014
Dear Katie, Luke, and Drew,
My ankles are still sore and my heart is still pounding from yesterday! The morning had started out like usual until I remembered that it was the day of the class ski trip! It didn't occur to me until approximately 30 seconds after my eyes fluttered open. After that, I rushed to get ready with an anxious tension in the pit of my stomach. At 8:15 on the dot, I stepped into the classroom to eagerly await the bus. Ten agonizing minutes later, the bus arrived at the school.
On the bus, everyone chattered like monkeys. Upon arrival, Hidden Valley instantly turned my nervous butterflies into a flock of jittery birds. There was a stampede as all of the fifth graders traveled to the lodge. Settling into folding chairs and watching a safety video was the easiest part of skiing. We were led to the rental building to shed our extra belongings and to rent skis and boots. Somewhat frantically there was a search for both, as if they were running out of them. They weren't. Then it was time for ski school. After finishing all seven lessons, I was ready to hit the slopes! Unfortunately, I didn't get much of a chance because it was time for lunch.
Once lunch was finished, time flew almost as fast as my skis. Hills slid past, I fell down, and every moment was powerful and precious. Before I was quite ready for it to be, the ski trip was over. A disgruntled mass of kids flooded into the rental building to return skis and boots. Everyone retrieved their backpacks and shoes. Before boarding the buses, we took a picture to remember the trip, but I I hardly need it; the trip was memorable enough.
The day was filled with new experiences and fun. Although it was hard and tiring and I realized that I am not an amazing skier, the day was epic!
Love,
Gracie
My favorite part of the conferences, hands down, was seeing recent writing samples. I had seen some of the pieces before, but some were fun surprises. I was thrilled to hear that Luke's writing has improved dramatically since the fall parent teacher conference. His teacher showed me a few writing pieces that made me smile ear to ear. I wanted so, so badly to take them home with me to show Ben (who was out of town for work), but the teacher did not hand me a folder of work like Gracie's teacher did. He did say that Luke would receive a portfolio at the end of the year, so I guess I will have to wait until then.
I did, however, get to leave the school with a big bunch of papers from Gracie's teacher. I had so much fun looking over all of it in detail last night after I got the kids in bed. One of my favorites was her response to a prompt to write a letter to someone about a recent adventure. The style and word choice that she used in a letter to her siblings about her class ski trip really makes me smile.
January 17, 2014
Dear Katie, Luke, and Drew,
My ankles are still sore and my heart is still pounding from yesterday! The morning had started out like usual until I remembered that it was the day of the class ski trip! It didn't occur to me until approximately 30 seconds after my eyes fluttered open. After that, I rushed to get ready with an anxious tension in the pit of my stomach. At 8:15 on the dot, I stepped into the classroom to eagerly await the bus. Ten agonizing minutes later, the bus arrived at the school.
On the bus, everyone chattered like monkeys. Upon arrival, Hidden Valley instantly turned my nervous butterflies into a flock of jittery birds. There was a stampede as all of the fifth graders traveled to the lodge. Settling into folding chairs and watching a safety video was the easiest part of skiing. We were led to the rental building to shed our extra belongings and to rent skis and boots. Somewhat frantically there was a search for both, as if they were running out of them. They weren't. Then it was time for ski school. After finishing all seven lessons, I was ready to hit the slopes! Unfortunately, I didn't get much of a chance because it was time for lunch.
Once lunch was finished, time flew almost as fast as my skis. Hills slid past, I fell down, and every moment was powerful and precious. Before I was quite ready for it to be, the ski trip was over. A disgruntled mass of kids flooded into the rental building to return skis and boots. Everyone retrieved their backpacks and shoes. Before boarding the buses, we took a picture to remember the trip, but I I hardly need it; the trip was memorable enough.
The day was filled with new experiences and fun. Although it was hard and tiring and I realized that I am not an amazing skier, the day was epic!
Love,
Gracie
Comments