{first week of school}

Yesterday I wrote a very brief and flip post about Drew's behavior this week, but have since felt a little guilt about it. When blogging, I find there to be a fine line between painting an unrealistic picture of a "perfect" life by only sharing the good things versus venting on the blog about struggles we may be having and then having those negative things out there for others to see as well as having them recorded for years to come.

Anyway... what I maybe should have said in yesterday's post instead was that we are having a difficult transition week as the new school year begins for Gracie and Luke. Transition is hard for some of us and I can always count on some behavior issues if we are going through a change.

Luke is not quite himself this week as he adjusts to a new teacher and classroom and new schedule. He also was assigned an "All About Me" oral presentation that has been the cause of much anxiety and a few tears. (For those of you who don't know, Luke has a really, really hard time with public speaking or being the center of attention. As in opting out of trick or treating last year because in St. Louis, you are expected to tell a joke to get your candy and this t.o.t.a.l.l.y stressed him out.) All of this anxiety has to come out somehow and this week it has shown itself as crazy high amounts of energy. I just keep asking him to take a deep breath and calm himself down a bit. He assures me that he is in control at school, but that they have to sit and be quiet so much during the day that when he gets home he just feels like he needs to let loose. I sympathize.

Drew is a little lost this week as he adjusts to life at home without his big brother. He and Katie have been playing together pretty well and I have been giving him lots of extra attention, but we just aren't as fun as Luke. :) He asks throughout each and every day how much longer it is until we go pick up the kids. He even asked me this morning if we could call Luke at school to talk to him. Poor guy.

In addition, he has had a couple of bad nights of sleep (darn nightmares!) and a tired Drew is, unfortunately, not ever an in-control-of-his-emotions Drew. To make it harder, we had a house full of workers for two days this week as we had new HVAC systems installed, so we needed to stay home as well as stay out of their way. Also challenging for him this week was a knee injury from a fall outside. He banged it up pretty good and it is still bothering him a day and a half later.

It's not been a bad week, though, just a challenging one. I've had to dig a little deeper for patience, that's for sure. We've had some really nice moments too-

Drew and Katie had a car wash for an hour straight.
Thanks, Pinterest! I had no idea this would be such a hit. 

These two also had a great time racing cars. 

Gracie took this picture to text to Ben while the two of us shared a salad at Roadhouse and then tackled grocery shopping. It was really great to have a meal together and to get to hear lots about her new class and teacher, and she was a huge help at the store. Thanks, my Gracie!  

Drew has really been into Hidden Pictures lately. 

This picture cracks me up because it could be a picture taken eight years ago of Gracie. Katie, JUST like her big sister, is obsessed with taking the wrappings off of crayons. I can't believe how long she will sit and concentrate on the task. 

Katie reading with her bear family. 

a trip to the library= a happy Luke

The first week of school is always tough around here, but we made it through. Happy Friday to all!

Comments

Oh my gosh, it's no wonder Joe and Luke are such good buds...I could have written the very same thing a few years ago. Poor Drew, it's tough when the sibs go off to school and he's left at home with boring Mom and Katie, LOL! Give them all hugs from the Koski's! We start school next week so we'll be adjusting as well.
Unknown said…
Please tell Luke I can completely sympathize with the public speaking nerves. When I speak in front of just a few people, let alone a big classroom, my top lip starts to quiver and my face turns a lovely shade of beet red. My advice, it's good that they're having them practice while they're young so that hopefully they won't have to carry that on into adulthood. I'm rooting for you Luke!! p.s. This will make him giggle. Connor's teacher this year is wonderful. Her name is Mrs. Mashburn. He says that he remembers her name because "you should never 'burn' 'mashed potatoes'. Clever and silly at the same time :)
Leslie said…
Hi Kate! Lucky Connor to have Mrs. Mashburn! Gracie had her partner teacher, Ms. King, and we LOVED them both! He will have a great year!
Unknown said…
He LOVES her! And I do too :) Also, thought I'd let you know I watched the newest episode of 'Bizarre Foods America with Andrew Zimmern' and they did a whole episode on great food in St. Louis. Soulard Market was a big highlight. I SO wish I lived there since cooking is my passion. What a fabulous place!
Leslie said…
We saw that episode too and enjoyed it, though we said it must have been filmed in the dreariest, grayest week they could find. St. Louis is much prettier than it was portrayed! We love Soulard Market and consider it one of our favorite family activities in St. Louis. You would just love it, Kate!
Leslie said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
Maybe I'll have to take a road trip to check it out ;)

Popular Posts