{Grace Kennedy Hedenberg}

Gracie wrote this story for homework last night following her assignment to write a one page story about the background of her name. I love it and asked if I could share it here. 


Leslie and Ben Hedenberg were feeling overjoyed and even a little disbelieving! They had just been to an ultrasound to find out that the new baby they were expecting was a little girl!

"So, honey, would you like to go out to dinner to celebrate?" asked my dad.

"Mexican!" answered my mom, who craved chips and salsa when she was pregnant with me. "Chuy's sounds good."

"Chuy's sounds great!" answered my dad.

Soon my parents walked up to the hostess stand.

"Two please." my mom said.

"Almost three!" whispered my dad in my mom's ear.

My parents both sat down and ordered.

"I'll have a Sprite and chicken and spinach quesadillas please" ordered my mom.

"I'll have a diet Coke and a beef chimichanga." Dad ordered.

The waitress left and my parents were left to discuss their latest turn of events and my name!

"Will we name her the name we always come back to: Grace?" my mom asked.

"Yes!" they said, practically in unison.

"Now for her middle name." my dad said.

My parents pondered and questioned many choices, but none of the names seemed to fit until...... a lightbulb blinked in my mom's head.

"Kennedy!" Mom exclaimed, so loudly and excitedly that the people at neighboring tables turned to look at her. "Kennedy." she said more quietly. "It's my maiden name, and Grace Kennedy Hedenberg has a nice little ring to it."

"I love it. Grace is the name of the church we were married in as well as Grandma Babe's maiden name. Kennedy is your maiden name. It's a perfect name. I am so excited for her to get here!

The waiter then came and served the food. They were so excited that if the food hadn't been so good, they probably would have been too excited to eat it!

I guess I was pretty excited about the name too because I arrived two weeks earlier than anyone expected just to get it!




Comments

Nini said…
What a creative way to tell the story of her name! She knows her Mom and Dad very well - and how excited they (and all of us!) were to meet her. She's a special kid - thanks for sharing. Tell Gracie "Good Job!"
Good job Grace, you nailed it!
Erin Clark said…
She is a brilliant young woman! One day I will get to say that famous Author is my niece!
Rachel said…
What a fabulous and impressive story for a 10 year old to write. Love it!

Popular Posts