{the kinds of things I have no patience for}
Yesterday, from the director of drama camp to the twenty five elementary school kids and the parents who had stuck around, after he arrived fifteen minutes late:
"Jane and Jon (the two high school counselors) are coming late today, but they say they are coming.... Last I heard, they are planning on being here today...... I have to run back home to get my knapsack because everything I need is in it. I am going to take the long route home because my blind thirteen- year old dog got out and I need to find him...... I will be back after I find the dog and get the items from my house. While I am gone, Maureen (stops to point at the timid-looking fifteen year old standing at the back of the pavilion) is in charge. Listen to her. Since it is raining, stay in the pavilion. This morning, I just want you to talk about your play and the direction you see it going..... Parents, there is no sign in sheet this morning, so just sign your name on this paper plate. Maureen, write this number down.... 5748474..... call me if you need anything."
Gracie did not stay at drama camp yesterday.
Today, a call from the same director upon arriving home from picking Gracie up at drama camp:
him: "Did you pick up Grace at camp today?"
me: "Yes."
him: "Did you pick up anyone besides Grace?" (He asks this very calmly, which I find strange.)
me: "No."
him: "Nobody left with you except Grace?" (He is, again, super calm. I am, again, finding this conversation very strange.)
me: "No."
him: "We really do need you to sign her out when you pick her up."
me: "I did sign her out."
pause.
him: "Oh, yes... you did. Alright. Be sure you do it every day then, OK?"
me: (confused) "Umm.. OK. Thanks. Bye."
As he is hanging up, I hear him say to someone, "What's the next number?"
I am still confused. Is he that calm while looking for a missing child? Holy moly.
I am glad that drama camp is over tomorrow. We will not be doing this particular camp again in the future. The director is clearly, clearly more used to his usual role as a college professor than he is to working with elementary school children.
"Jane and Jon (the two high school counselors) are coming late today, but they say they are coming.... Last I heard, they are planning on being here today...... I have to run back home to get my knapsack because everything I need is in it. I am going to take the long route home because my blind thirteen- year old dog got out and I need to find him...... I will be back after I find the dog and get the items from my house. While I am gone, Maureen (stops to point at the timid-looking fifteen year old standing at the back of the pavilion) is in charge. Listen to her. Since it is raining, stay in the pavilion. This morning, I just want you to talk about your play and the direction you see it going..... Parents, there is no sign in sheet this morning, so just sign your name on this paper plate. Maureen, write this number down.... 5748474..... call me if you need anything."
Gracie did not stay at drama camp yesterday.
Today, a call from the same director upon arriving home from picking Gracie up at drama camp:
him: "Did you pick up Grace at camp today?"
me: "Yes."
him: "Did you pick up anyone besides Grace?" (He asks this very calmly, which I find strange.)
me: "No."
him: "Nobody left with you except Grace?" (He is, again, super calm. I am, again, finding this conversation very strange.)
me: "No."
him: "We really do need you to sign her out when you pick her up."
me: "I did sign her out."
pause.
him: "Oh, yes... you did. Alright. Be sure you do it every day then, OK?"
me: (confused) "Umm.. OK. Thanks. Bye."
As he is hanging up, I hear him say to someone, "What's the next number?"
I am still confused. Is he that calm while looking for a missing child? Holy moly.
I am glad that drama camp is over tomorrow. We will not be doing this particular camp again in the future. The director is clearly, clearly more used to his usual role as a college professor than he is to working with elementary school children.
Comments
Is he also the French teacher?
Love,
Dad
This morning at drop off, he casually told the parents that he was going to run an errand this morning during camp. I am confused as to why he is having such a hard time staying at the camp he is in charge of for three hours a day- it is only a week long camp!