32.
Do you remember the "I" statements activity that was big on blogs and Facebook last year? The idea was to list sixteen stream of consciousness statements about yourself beginning with "I".
In honor of my last couple of days of being thirty-two, I thought I'd attempt an "I" list 32 statements long because one, there's nothing like a birthday to make me contemplate by life. Two, Drew is napping, the kids are occupied in the playroom, and the house is clean- I welcome a little mental stimulation this quiet Tuesday morning. And three- I would absolutely LOVE it if you played along. You don't have to do 32 statements, I'd be thrilled with ten. Consider it an easy birthday present you could give me! :)
So here goes. Thirty-two statements about me:
In honor of my last couple of days of being thirty-two, I thought I'd attempt an "I" list 32 statements long because one, there's nothing like a birthday to make me contemplate by life. Two, Drew is napping, the kids are occupied in the playroom, and the house is clean- I welcome a little mental stimulation this quiet Tuesday morning. And three- I would absolutely LOVE it if you played along. You don't have to do 32 statements, I'd be thrilled with ten. Consider it an easy birthday present you could give me! :)
So here goes. Thirty-two statements about me:
- I can't watch the news anymore. The stories either depress me or keep me awake at night. I choose to be blissfully ignorant of some of the crazy people in this world.
- I have an obsession with Qdoba. Ben thinks they must put crack cocaine in their chips or something. I could eat there multiple times a week.
- I could not be any more sick of painting.
- I check-in online many times a day. At least four. And I get really happy when someone has updated their blog or sent me a fun email. It's kind of like the excitement I used to get checking the mailbox when I was little, before mail became all about bills.
- I read a ridiculous amount of books to the kids, but don't read for myself nearly as often as I used to. I'm trying to get back into the habit of keeping a book nearby to steal five minutes of reading time wherever I can find it.
- I sometimes feel really guilty that I get to stay home with the kids all day.
- I can not drink more than one glass of wine anymore without getting a headache the next morning. When did I get so old?
- I hate shorts. Not on other people, but on me. Give me a skirt or sundress any day over shorts!
- I don't like to wear nail polish on my fingernails, but can't stand naked toes.
- I had to stop watching the TV show "House" because it was making me a bit of a hypochondriac about the kids' normal health problems.
- I am attempting to give up my nightly bowl of ice cream. I've been attempting this for about a month. It's not going as well as planned. :) I can show tremendous willpower all day long with smart food choices....and then not be able to resist my evening ritual of Tivo and a large bowl of frozen yogurt.
- I am beginning to think it is time for baby #4. I've been feeling this way for a couple of months and we watched home movies of Drew as a baby the other day and it pretty much sealed the deal for me.
- I miss seeing my friends and family on a more regular basis.
- I can't stop thinking about some friends of ours going through a divorce. We used to spend a lot of time with them and it is just sad to see. I fear that now instead of slowly watching our friends get married, we'll begin seeing some friends go through divorce.
- I have a strange (or maybe it's not so strange, I don't know...) approach to mundane household chores- I play "beat the music" and try to get a task completed in one, two, or three song increments. I've gotten so good that I can usually get the dishwasher unloaded in one song. My goal is always to get dinner cleaned up in two songs. Ahhh....the exciting life of a stay-at-home mama, right?
- I have read "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" more times in the past month than I care to count.
- I no longer scrapbook. It used to be something I really, really enjoyed, but now I just don't. Blogging has replaced it as a faster, less messy means of documenting our lives.
- I have an annoyingly good sense of smell. I can't wear perfume or most lotions because it gives me an awful headache. It makes me almost sick to my stomach to have to ride in a car with someone wearing strong perfume.
- I have grown completely tired of my bob and am going to begin growing my hair out once again.
- I am so very excited for our trip to Zionsville/Decatur/Turkey Run/St. Louis in a couple of weeks.
- I have really high behavioral expectations for the kids, so it bothers me more than it should when we are having an off day.
- I work hard to try to put myself out there. I don't want to be the kind of person anyone could spend time with and not feel like they really know. It makes me disappointed when I spend time with someone and we don't ever talk about anything real. Sometimes on my blog, I worry that I overshare, but I would rather overshare than undershare, if that makes sense. I tell myself to share my honest thoughts and if people do not like them, they can stop reading the blog.
- I have been gaining and losing the same four pounds for the past eight weeks.
- I try to make a point to call or email someone I love each day.
- I am secretly glad that the kids never chose a summer camp to participate in when they were given choices. I love having them home all day and I love the unstructured summer we've been having.
- I, like some of my in-laws, seem to be physically unable to leave for a trip unless the house is clean.
- I take at least fifty pictures a week.
- I just got our wedding negatives transferred to a disc and can't wait to play around with the pictures. There were many images the photographer took that I don't remember ever seeing- a really fun surprise almost eleven years later.
- I get emotional thinking about school starting up again. It is blowing my mind that Gracie is starting second grade and Luke is starting kindergarten. And they'll both be gone all day, every day. Short of approximately six hours a week of preschool for the past two years, Luke has been my shadow for the past five years. His running commentary on life, his imaginative stories, his jokes, and his questions are the background noise of my daily life. I am tearing up now just thinking of his first day of kindergarten.
- I am nervous about the book club tomorrow night that I've been invited to attend. The women are all substantially older and have children close to my age. I will be the new girl and the odd one out. Also, the book they chose is about cats........
- I am amazed at how quickly this post has been written and how much I enjoyed writing it. And even more amazed that Drew is still napping! (3+ hours now!)
- I am so very blessed to have had the year I've had and look forward to seeing what thirty-three will bring.
If I didn't bore you and you are still reading this- thanks! :) As I said, I would really love it if you'd like to leave some statements about yourself as a comment on this post or on your own blog. It's along the lines of my love of people-watching........I am fascinated by others and love to hear about the quirks that make each of us so unique and interesting.
Comments
Happy almost Birthday. I will try your game of 32.
1) I liked #12 on your list.
2) I enjoy being out of town for business or pleasure. Living in the same place my entire life makes me daydream of greener pastures.
3) I enjoy reading blogs. It can be a great tool in keeping connected.
4) I can not believe how much better coffee taste in the sunroom.
5) I believe that being a grandparent is the biggest reward life has to offer...bar none.
6) I really, really liked #12 on your list.
7) I don't understand why I enjoy television and get irritated by radio.
8) I know Mom will like #12 on your list.
9) I enjoy a good cigar with a glass of Crown.
10) I believe your mother is the best friend a person could ever have.
11) I think Grizzly makes the best woodworking tools known to mankind.
12) I think that visiting a micro brewery or a winery is far superior to having a drink in a bar or restaurant.
13) I think that after looking back on my list, I may have to reduce my alcohol cunsumption. It should not be this prevalent in my thoughts at 3:30 in the afternoon.
14) I enjoy people watching.
15) I spend too much time and money at Menards.
16) I want to be in better shape without all that exercise stuff.
17) I would love to play in the World Series of Poker. It is on my bucket list.
18) I suck at poker.
19) I have absolutely loved every family vacation we have ever taken and hope that the tradition never ends.
20) I am aware that enjoying the company of extended family is not always a given, and in that arena I have truly been blessed.
21) I believe Chevrolet makes the best truck.
22) I think everyone should be a member of a credit union.
23) I believe all dogs go to heaven.
24)I am excited that after 7 years of league pool, I am finally on a team that gets to go to Vegas and play in the APA Championship Tournament.
25) I am proud of my children.
26) I find it hard to wear shoes since I have returned from vacation.
27) I like the dark comedy series called "Breaking Bad".
28) I hate mowing, but love having mowed.
29) I think red wine should be served at room temperature and not chilled. (your mother and I disagree on this one)
30) I am feeling guilty about the time I spent on this list instead of working on my website, like I am supposed to be doing.
31) I am over the guilt now:)
32) I wish you the Happiest of Birthdays!!!
With Love,
Dad
I loved your list! Especially the "new addition" prospects...Baby LePage needs a playmate!
Your Dad's list made me giggle! :)
1.I worked packing cigarettes in a factory before college(until I got fired because I was too slow.) At night I worked in a nursing home as a waitress. In college I worked at the local wing and beer joint on the weekends.
2. I was a Kappa Kappa Gamma and hated being in sorority.
3. I dream of having a big white farmhouse filled with antiques and a wrap around porch. And kids running around barefoot, of course.
4. I am starting to develop an unhealthy fear of flying.
5. I am a greedy girl at the library.I have been known to leave there with 42 items checked out in one visit. I have never lost a book.
6. I am a Daddy's girl. My Dad can do nothing wrong.
7. I still have the outfit I wore on my first date with Jason.
8. The second I saw Jason, I said,"That is the guy I am going to marry." outloud.
9.I could eat pizza 5 days a week and be completely happy.
10. I have Ronnie Milsap on my ipod.
11.I don't drink liquour but love me some red wine.
12. I love being from the South.I get really excited when I meet someone from the South or overhear a Southern acccent.
13. I am an extrovert who loves spending time alone.
14. I love to be around people who make me laugh. I don't like being around people who are type A with no sense of humor.
15.I exercise 5 times a week and never lose weight.
16.I was voted "Best All Around" in high school.Still trying to figure out what that means??
17. I almost failed out my freshman year at Wake from partying so hard.I also gained 35 pounds in one semester.
18.I love the book To Kill a Mockingbird.I love the movie Gone With the Wind.
19. I can never remember my friends birthdays. Sorry Leslie.:)
20.I feel really guilty about how much money my parents paid for my education and I have never used it.
21.I used to shop at Ann Taylor. Now I shop at Goodwill and yard sales.
22.I feel like my job as a Mom is one of the few things I'm pretty good at in this life.
23. I collect cookbooks but rarely try new recipes.
24.I love going to church. I don't feel like my week is complete without it. I love growing spiritually more than anything else.
25.The first married fight Jason and I had was about whose job it was to fill water bottles. I still get mad thinking about it.
26.I take a nap everyday.
27.I am the most un-athletic person I know. I have no interest in sports. I have been known to leave a Colts game and not be able to tell you who won.I zoned out or talked to someone the whole time(lucky them).
28. I love the confidence and self knowledge getter older brings. I look forward to aging gracefully-God willing and the creek don't rise!
29. I love thriller movies and movies with fated characters(read: depressing)
30.I get really really sad when I think about Hollis growing up. I never thought I'd love being a Mom as much as I do.I wish I had started a family earlier in life.
31.I am married to my best friend.
32. I don't think my life could get any better than it is right now.Seriously.
Leslie, are you sleeping now?:)
33.) I miss you dearly. I love the way our friendship has grown the past couple of years and can't wait to see what the future holds for us!Happy Birthday, darlin'!
2. I make dramatically big plans in my head all of the time. In the last week I have planned: writing a book, running a marathon, becoming comedian and building a new deck (I have done none of them so far.)
3. I quit drinking caffeine for a month and was much happier without it. I am slowly slipping back into the habit though.
4. I fall asleep in the last minutes of movies ALL THE TIME. I am beginning to believe it is an evolutionary trait to save me from bad endings to good movies.
5. When I was in 2nd or 3rd grade, I was convinced I was abducted by aliens in my sleep. Alien movies still really scare me.
6. I have a pure love for CBS Sunday Morning and I can't explain why.
7. I have owned a chainsaw for over a month and I am still completely injury free (knock on wood.)
8. I love watching the kids individual personalities come out and really believe a lot more in the nature side of the equation.
9. I cannot live without spell check (please see above and below.)
10. I have been with Leslie almost exactly the same amount of time as I lived without her. I couln't be any happier than the choice that I made when I was 16.
11. I find new friends great but there is something amazing about people you have known for a long time. It is great when you can ease into a conversation without any trouble after not seeing someone for days/weeks/months.
12. I always wanted to be tall when I was younger, and now I wish could shrink by 3-4 inches. I teeter just inside the freakishly large realm and I am tired of it.
13. I really enjoy algebra and trig but absolutely hate anything accounting related.
14. I still miss playing sports but now realize how unimportant they are in the long run.
15. I have not been able to curb my "teeth" thing or my problems with cotton balls.
16. I have enjoyed moving to the South because of the following: buscuits, sweet tea, "I appreciate it" and the great views.
17. I sometimes am tempted to iron the front of my clothes, but have to fight the urge.
18. I really like getting dry cleaning(see above) but hate the price.
19. I hate the term "one size fits all." It is very misleading.
20. I have really started to enjoy reading, but always have to battle wanting to read faster and being sleepy.
21. I heart my Iphone a little more than I should.
22. I still haven't watched Avatar yet. I have tried to coin the term Avretard to describe people who haven't seen it yet, but realize that it is not PC.
23. I have 2 goals in life- never cry on national TV and never get seen being punched in slow motion.
24. I am realizing more and more that even as your circle of people you meet in life expands the people who are important to you becomes smaller an smaller.
25. I used to love fishing and still miss it. (I really want a pair of the wading boots for fly fishing.)
26. I really enjoy chewing gum and think it helps me think and relax at the same time.
27. I am glad I never joined the millitary but can see the attration to the lifestyle and sense of patriotism.
28. I really enjoy pie.
29. I haven't been in a real fight since I was in 5th grade.
30. I get sad when I see older people lately who are treated like children. I don't get it.
31. I try not eating salt, but I struggle because I really like it.
32. I have recently discovered coffee ice cream and really enjoy it.
33. I really want to go to a live concert soon.
The rest of you.....I'd LOVE to read some more! :)
1. I use to be that person who would gag at a couple who were lovey dovey. I now have become one and I don't care what other people think.
2. I used to hope that I could find someone that I could tolerate (high hopes huh). That would not require too much of my time or bug me too much. I ended up finding someone who I could spend every minute with and never get tired of, who I find endlessly interesting and funny and who is so often thinking the same thing I am it is scary.
3. I tried online dating for awhile and even though I hated every minute of it,I do think that it opened me up and put me in a place where I was ready for a real relationship.
4. I am approaching my 35th birthday at the end of August and although for most 34 isn't much different than 35 for a woman (with no children) it is that scary age when you ovaries are suppose to shrivel up and fall out. Because I still want to have at least one of my own and Will and I have some obstacles to overcome before we can even try I have to give myself pep talks about the fact that women are having children later and later. My best friend Crystal and my aunt Barb both were born to 40 year old mothers. That would make me only be 58 when they graduate from high school look what shape my mom is at 58 that's not old. Kelly preston is 47 and pregnant (not that I plan on waiting til 40 but I always like to go worst case). This is the pep talk I have with myself so I don't freak out.
5. I tend to freak out about things. I wake up at 4 in the morning worring about things that in the light of day don't seem so bad or that I have no control over. Surprisingly I get this from my mother.
6. I too have issues with cotton. I had to leave the garage the other day when Will was using steel wool because it was making me so uncomfortable.
7. I am obsessed with music. my ipod is approaching full , I listen to every type of music, When I watch glee I know word for word almost every song.
8. I love "So you think you can dance"
9. I feel gulity is a common phrase for me (I aso get this from my mother). I for some reason believe that I am responsible for every household chore and feel guilty when Will takes care of something I believe is my responsibility.
10. I have no less than 7 projects in process not to mention the stuff we are planning and doing for family members and friends. This however does not cause me stress. I know we will finish eventually and I am not one to skip doing something fun because we have a project to finish. Life is too short.
11. I have spent the last 7 years at my job totally focused on success. I feel I have achieved a level of success I am very happy with and now I have somewhat shifted my focus to personal success. .
12. I hate littering and can not concieve how anyone can think it is acceptable to throw anything out of their car window.
13. As I get older the thing I find most intolerable in people is narcisism or selfishness. People thinking that their wants and needs are somehow more important than other people I took a management seminare once and one of the concepts was very simple but very true "other people exists" they are not just actors in the movie that is your life.
14. I too love gum however I chew it mindlessly and find that I will chew the same piece of gum for hours even after it is long stale and my jaw is sore.
15. I am claustraphobic and have recently realized multiple ways that is manifests itself in my everyday life. I can't stand to put a cover over my head or anything that causes my breath to stay around my face. Stale air causes me to start to panic. I can control it but I try not to put myself in those situations when avoidable. I hate the backseat of a two door car because I feel trapped. I also have discovered that complete darkness is the same as an enclosed place to me.
16. I switched from black eyeline to brown to compliment my hazel eyes and not look so harsh.
32 Things
1. Retirement is starting to sound more and more attractive every day.
2. I don’t want to stop working, I just want to stop doing all the extraneous chores that go along with working – goal setting, timelines, report writing, etc. (Can you tell what I should be doing right now?)
3. My best friend at work is dealing with her Father’s terminal illness – 3 hours away. She is with him, but feels the stress of not being here. I wish I could help her more.
4. Ruth’s experience with her Dad dying is so different than mine with my Mom. You really do die the way that you live.
5. I love going to the gym and pushing myself, but I can’t do it very well on my own. Group fitness keeps me motivated.
6. The idea of a trip with no set itinerary and no set stops intrigues me – but I don’t know if I could do it or not.
7. I would love to study enology and work in a winery. That may be my next career.
8. I found that I missed having a “buddy” on vacation – someone who wanted to do stuff with just me. It made me understand my Mom’s reluctance to come on vacations with us better and feel bad that I wasn’t more understanding.
9. If I had been in Mom’s situation, I would have found a traveling companion – preferably male!
10. I love my dog and love that he curls up between Paul and I every night when I climb into bed.
11. Dogs give you unconditional love, but I can’t help but feel bad because I don’t get him out for walks more often. One more reason to feel guilty….
12. I am so looking forward to spending time with Ben and Leslie and the grandbabies in a few weeks.
13. I love having sisters and spending time with them – together and apart. They are very different, but then again, very much alike. They keep me honest about myself.
17. I do not like hot drinks, but on occasion and even then I don't see them as a thirst quencher.
18. I rarely drink alcohol anymore. I bet most of the time I don't have 3 alcoholic drinks in a month.
19. I use to smoke occasionally although I was embarassed about it and really only did it in private. It did calm me but it is a nasty dirty habit which I am glad to be rid of.
20. I have never bought a new car. I have always bought used and with the exception of the Diahatsu have driven the car until it fell apart.
21. I always wanted long fingernails when I was younger but was never able to grown them out. Then I had fake nails for a number of years now my nails grow long on their own and I don't have to do anything special.
22. I recently have considered moving out to the country but I still want high speed internet, cable, city sewer and water, plus a short drive to work. so maybe I will just stay in the city.
23. I hate gardening and although I enjoy the look of pretty flowers and plants I so do not enjoy the process. I plan to never grow a garden.
24. I do not shower everyday (unless needed). On the days I do not shower I wear my hair in a ponytail and sleep a little later.
25. I talk to myself regularly in the car. it's my way of working through things and practicing what I may need to say to someone. I have always found that hearing things out loud helps me to solidify my thoughts.
26. I only like music that I can sing along to. For me music is more about the lyrics.
27. I actually kind of miss Bryan (not living in my house) but knowing what is going on with him. He always acts like I am such a bother but I hope that is just a act.
28. I had never been in love before and was beginging to think that I never would be. It is both the best and worst feeling in the world. it is overwhelming, scary and wonderful all at the same time.
29. I feel bad that I have benefitted from a situation that has caused others pain
30. I am very fortunate to have a friend like Crystal who I love and trust and know I can depend on even if we do not see or talk that often. She always does so much for everyone I want to be that person she can depend on for whatever she needs (other than her husband of course).
31. I have great parents who have provided the perfect combination of support and freedom to get me where I am today. They are not perfect, nobody is, They are human but I could not ask for more. I have great memories of my childhood, my mom read to us before bed and in the car on long trips, my dad coached our soccer teams, We went on family vacations, took car rides on saturday nights that included a stop at dairy queen and picnics in allerton park to name a few.
32. I feel fortunate to have brothers that were close to my age growing up. Ben and I were particuallarly close but all three of us had some good times together (even if Bryan will not admit it). Friends are great to share memories with but siblings share so much more and you have a connecton to them for life whereas friends often come and go.
14. I am thrilled that the grandkids have been exposed to reading so early and have developed a great love for it. I enjoy sharing books with them and look forward to doing more as their interests grow.
15. I love being “Nini” – I always wanted a special grandma name.
16. I miss hanging out with Bridget and doing nothing – wandering through the hardware store and making plans for our next project.
17. I’m so glad that Bridget has Will in her life and is embarking on the next stage of her life (It’s a double edged sword!)
18. I would rather have long thin legs than big boobs – unfortunately, I have neither!
19. I want to be a morning person, but so far that’s not working out so well. It’s so much easier for me to stay up late than to get up early.
20. I enjoy the science part of my job – it’s like a dozen word problems every day.
21. I love hanging out with Bryan and talking books. He is so bright and well read and interested in so many things. And he doesn’t mind hanging out with me anymore!
22. I love my new washer and dryer. Although Paul wouldn’t spring for a front loader, the washer is still high efficiency, uses less water and senses the load level. And the agitator agitates – something my old washer had ceased to do.
23. I love, love, love taking big family vacations with extended family. I WOULD invite Hitler on vacation – he might have been a nicer guy if somebody had included him sometimes!
24. It’s so much fun watching the grandkid’s personalities emerge and their interests start to form. I agree with Ben – nature is a stronger force than nurture.
25. Watching Ben as a father is a wonder – he is patient and loving and funny and encouraging, all at the same time. Thinking about it makes me smile with a tear in my eye.
26. I am thankful for the strong relationships that my children (including Leslie) have formed, with their significant others and their long time and new found friends. They inspire me to work harder on my own relationships.
27. I worry that Paul doesn’t take good enough care of himself and won’t be able to enjoy his much anticipated retirement. Nagging doesn’t seem to inspire him to quit smoking.
28. My new goal is to start riding my bike – maybe a trip soon to Bloomington to ride with Barb and Jeff. I have a cool carrier that fits on my car that’s still in the box.
29. I need to start working less and enjoying life more. Nobody appreciates (or even notices) when I stay at work until 7pm.
30. I love that Drew sings all the time. I was that way when I was a kid – Rick and Sandi told me that I was going to grow up to be a singing nurse. They said that I would walk into the patient’s rooms and sing “Good morning Mrs. Jones – I’m here to give you your bath”! I didn’t appreciate it at the time – but now it doesn’t sound too bad!
31. I enjoyed having Kenny, Kelly, Meaghan and Ella on vacation with us this year. How lucky are we to have kin and shirt-tail kin that we actually like hanging out with?
32. I love the blogs and am amazed at the creative ways that Leslie uses hers – and gets the rest of us to participate. Thanks Leslie. You bring so much to the family. Happy birthday – we love you!
33. I am so happy that I am lucky enough to have a sister in law that is a great wife to my baby brother and a great mother to their kids. Have a great birthday and I can't wait to see you guys
Love Bridget
1. I just got off birth control! (by the way Bridget, my mom was only 33 when she had me)
2. I love chewing gum, but hate it when people pop their gum.
3. I love my job
4. I have ZERO problems with blood and guts, but cannot stand the sight of vomit (especially dog vomit)
5. I need to exercise more...I have no energy
6. I have the best best friend in the WORLD and I am so glad she found someone and that he is as fabulous as Will (I agree that though we don't talk all the time, we can pick right up like it has been no time at all)
7. I would love a new car, but #1 seems more important to me!
8. I tend to do for others and forget about doing things for myself
9. I am so glad that I found a man that I can share the rest of my life with and treats me fantastic.
10. I was blessed with a perfect child by marriage...I don't really think of her as my "step daughter"...we get along so well.
11. I love my dog though he is a pain in the rear
12. I want nothing more than to be in a new house and pregnant by Christmas THIS year.
13. I have totally different television taste than my husband (our TV lives on ESPN, so I live in a magazine)
14. I find that most people do not understand what it is that I do for a living.
15. I have a slight obsession with fountain soda...I have switched to diet recently to justify the amount I drink.
16. I cannot get enough of Leslie's bog...it is one of my daily internet stops. She always has the most descriptive stories and the best pictures (plus I love her children and Luke is my boyfriend).
17. I recently put a pool up in the yard...very nice to know it is only 10 feet away.
18. I am very proud of my 7 year old nephew for learning how to swim this summer.
19. I have more cucumbers in my garden then I would ever need for a whole lifetime!
20. I totally love my mother in law, she is great and I don't know what I would do without her sometimes.
21. I am a huge junk food addict
22. I miss going on Hedenberg family vacations
23. I can't get enough of my Mochadoodle Scentsy
24. I find myself checking Facebook at least 5 times in an evening
25. I wish I had a vacation soon!
26. I used to have a ton of friends, but now really only count on a few (namely Bridget) when I really need them
27. I LOVE when my paycheck has overtime on it
28. I really feel that I need to do something for the community like volunteer at a kitchen.
29. I am 1 of 25 grandchildren on my mom's side, while my husband is 1 of 4 grandkids on his mom's side. He has a problem with my huge family and I understand why. Not to mention, he has 1 sister, I have 3 siblings. He has 1 nephew and I have 13 nieces and nephews
30. I have a fear of roller coasters.
31. I need to call Bridget more, she is always willing to listen to my drama or just my stories...she and I have a connection even if we haven't talked in a while...and she seems to know when I need to talk to her, just by a simple text or 2 seconds of conversation. I can tell her anything!
32. I need to take some time to my self and do the things I like to do, no matter what!
Wow that was hard, Leslie! Happy Birthday!! Hope to see you soon!!
1. I am happy that, after a year and a half, I am back to work full time.
2.I love being in our new house and having a larger yard to play with.
3.I L O V E F O O D.
4.I wish that I was reading as often as I used to.
5.I love that I get to live with my two best friends in the world.
6.I love my new 47" LCD LED flat panel television that is hanging in my family room.
7.I enjoy fishing... even if they aren't biting... something about it is very relaxing and calming to me.
8.I love how excited my little buddy is to see me every day when I get home from work.
9.I am glad that my wifey is back from Seattle, but also glad that she got to spend time with her friend.
10.I am a horrible speller. (just ask my wife!!)
11.I cannot talk on a cell phone and get off of the highway at the exit that I'm supposed to. Today I was talking to Kelly on the phone and was 5 miles past my exit before I realized that I had passed it.
12.I am not a good typer. 2 finger pecking at the keyboard takes a long time to do things like this!!! (but it is still fun!!)
13.I sometimes think that I am still 18, but then my body gives me a quick reality check.
14.I am proud that my wife has learned to text on her phone, but get jealous that she now gets way more texts than I do. :)
15.I get so tickled at the way the simplest things can become so fun for Caleb. The other day he played with a Sears bag for half an hour pretending that it was a parachute. Innocence is awesome!!
16.I am happy that a friend at work gave me his extra car jack and tools to change my tire two weeks ago. After two years of owning my truck... I had a flat on the way to work this morning. :(
17.I love kids movies and am glad that I can use my son as an excuse to watch them.
18.I am a night owl. Very rarely am I in bed before midnight, even though I get up for work at 5-5:30.
19.I still feel the same way about my wife that I did when I first fell in love with her in high school.
20.I enjoy yardwork. Landscaping, planting flowers, watering the yard by hand, even cutting the grass. I just love to stand back and look at it when I am done.
21.I am addicted to tools. Sometimes I will create different ways of doing things just so I can get new tools to do them. (this is probably why I was cut off from Home Depot by my wife!)
22.I enjoy road trips and wish that I was able to do them more often.
23.I don't like it when people go 5-10 miles under the speed limit in the fast lane. I might have a slight anger issue in this area, but, seriously, do you not see EVERYONE going around you while you're just tootin along?!?! (sorry... I'm done venting now)
24.I love getting together with friends for dinner, be it at our house or theirs.
25. I thoroughly enjy cooking and or grilling outside.
26.I am addicted to show that serch for strange creatures... Monster Quest, Destination Truth, etc... I know that they never find anything, but something about those type of shows really intrigues me.
27.I am never quiet... except when I sleep... and my wife would even disagree with that one.
28.I cannot stand to wear anything similar to my wife. Even if they are different shades of the same color... I will change.
29.I am thankful that I have a large family and that everyone is close.
30.I wish that I was more knowledgable. (Yeah... that's got to be spelled wrong!)
31.I don't get the whole facebook thing.Maybe it's because I am not around a computer all day, or maybe because I'm getting old, but I really don't care if people that I haven't talked to since high school are "bored at work" or "getting a coffee, yum!"
32.I don't like that my wife can call me old since I am 33 and she is still 32.
33.I can't believe that I actually came up with this list!!
2. I am also very happy that she has passed her love of reading on to the kids.
3. I love anytime that one of them asks me to read to them.
4. I am kind of bummed that Drew doesn't know me.
5. I have owned a house for almost 2 months. That still scares me a little bit.
6. I went to Mom and Dad's to do laundry the other night. And of course Mom did it all. That bothers me a lot.
7. I much rather lay around the house and read than do anything else.
8. Sometimes, a rather bad R&B song will make me smile. That makes me happy.
9. I cannot wait for Canoeapalloza.
10. I am not liking the new management at the Winery.
11. I don't like change very much.
12. My job is either boring or exciting. I wish it would choose one and stay with it. I can't take the ups and downs.
13. I have nothing on my walls.
14. I am very lucky to have a brother that is my best friend. I know I don't have to talk to him every day, but I know he's there when I need him.
15. I have a sister, who might not get me all the time, but gets the important things.
16. I don't know what to say about my parents. I'm lucky to have them.
I could only come up with 16. Give me a couple of days and I might come up with another 16. Kiss the kids for me please.
2. I have self-diagnosed myself with mild OCD. I count steps as I climb them and silverware as I put it away.
3. I love to make lists and cross things off them. See above.
4. When I was a teenager I occasionally wished I were an only child. I haven't wished that in a long time.
5. I am proud of the adults my nieces and nephews have become. It's just hard to process that some of them are sliding toward 40.
6. Unlike many in my family, I have learned to enjoy bananas.
7. I know way too many unemployed people these days. It makes me fearful for the future of our economy.
8. My husband is my best friend. He can do anything and he amuses me. He is welcoming to my family.
9. I am happy Bridget is now enjoying all the huggy-kissy stuff.
10. I can never live more than an hour away from Costco.
11. I am overrun with raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, and peaches. See above.
12. I think the New York Times Best Seller list is not what it used to be. Much of it is just well-advertised crap.
13. I used to make myself finish every book I started. Not anymore. See above.
14. I will never own a Kindle. Opening a well-anticipated book and later sharing it with a friend/sister does not translate to a flat screen.
15. I seldom use my cell phone. I often forget to turn it on.
16. I believe there truly is a "God gene" and I didn't get it.
17. Sometimes I look in the mirror and briefly see the expression of one of my parents.
18. Having lived so long away from immediate family, I often think I need to call Mother to tell her something. Especially on the weekend. I don't think that feeling will ever go away.
19. I feel lucky to have four siblings whose company I enjoy, and I wish I could see more of them.
20. I love to open the fresh morning paper and read it front to back, but marriage makes that a compromise. Ron always lets me have the front section.
21. I need a pot of coffee in the morning, not a cup, a pot, and I need it immediately.
22. I love our German Shepherds. They are the smartest, most loving dogs. I just wish they had less hair.
23. I have reached the point in my life where I want much less "stuff". Trying to get to that point by downsizing is not that easy.
24. After living in AZ and NC for many years, snakes and bugs do not bother me nearly as much as they once did.
25. I am glad Ben and Leslie have moved to Knoxville. I hope to see more of them and their amazing kids and my amazing sister, Patti.
26. I love to have friends and relatives visit, but there is no way I could run a B&B for strangers.
27. My Scots/Irish gene pool contains no tan genes.
28. I should have paid more attention to sunscreen in previous decades.
29. I shop at Walmart. I'm not proud of it. I tried to avoid it. But living in the country you have limited choices and you just can't beat the prices sadly.
30. I seldom watch the news anymore, local or national. I am very tired of all politicians and I can't bear to see anymore oily pelicans.
31. I'm ashamed I have not learned a second language since I have taken classes in Spanish and French over the years. I can read menus and get the references in books, but I would love to be able to converse.
32. Taking away the tax exempt status of all churches, mosques, and synagoges would go a long way toward helping both the national and state budget deficits.
1. I just started the Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred this morning because I'm getting a little too complacent about my exercising.
2. I got to eat at The Trump Tower yesterday on my orientation day for my new job! Schwanky!!
3. I start my new job officially on Monday and am SO excited about it!
4. I just started (haven't finished yet) watching Amelie and can't believe I never watched it before! So many people have told me I would LOVE this movie and so far they were all right!
5. I've gotten back into reading and can't be happier about it. Just finished The Half Moon by Alice Sebold....not her best effort but readable. On to The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.
6. I'm sad that I'm missing my family's annual vacation to NC.
7. I have a weird cleaning quirk like Leslie...I tell myself I have to pick up/put away 10 items in a room before I can leave it. I literally count 1, 2, 3,....Unfortunately if there are more than 10 things to put away the room doesn't get clean :(
8. I am realizing this list is going to take a lot longer than I thought.
9. I have a really bad habit of eating late at night (see #1)
10. I love wine more than any other drink. Everyone says they'll know immediately if I'm ever pregnant becuase I'll pass on wine. So to make sure they don't get the wrong idea I've become a lush :)
11. I am dreading next week's Deadliest Catch episode....it's Phil's last one :(
12. I have always wanted to take dance lessons as an adult but I'm embaressed.
13. I hate ironing and do it only in extreme cases.
14. I get to go shopping for work clothes today!!!
15. I have recently rediscovered the joys of going to the library.
16. I visited my 90+ year old grandparents last week in Washburn. I'm mad at myself for not doing it more often. They are truly amazing people.
17. I have a triathlon magnet on my car but haven't completed one in over a year...that makes me feel guilty, like false advertising or something?
18. I have my house more organized than ever. I'm wondering how long that will last now that I'm going back to work full time?!
19. I hate getting nothing but junk mail in my mailbox. What a waste of paper!!
20. I love to cook but don't do it as often as I'd like.
21. I am deathly afraid of those centipede things that move really fast. Seriously, I just got chills thinking about them.
22. I really love polenta. Not sure why.
23. I think I deserve to buy a new handbag today....
24. I get a really red face any time I exercise.
25. I really like making lists....so it's interesting to me that I can't seem to come up with 32 items right now! Hahaha!
26. I love day time drinking. Picnics, BBQs, baseball games etc. I never get hangovers from day time drinking!
27. I have become so much more germaphobic in the last few years. Not to a critical, can't leave my house state, but just more aware of how gross certain things can be.
28. I love the smell of fresh dill. I just discovered this the other day when I brought some home from my grandparents house. I have it on the counter to dry and everytime I walk in the house it reminds me of them.
29. I would love to at the very least hike to base camp of Everest. Any further than that sounds terrifying.
30. I would NEVER sky dive. I think it is stupid and reckless.
31. I love being on the water. Lake, river, ocean...whatever!
32. I can't believe we're gonna be 33 this year. Time flies!!!
2. I love ice cream.
3. I like to go shopping at Old Navy and Gap.
4. I like playing with my brothers.
5. I like cooking.
6. I like painting.
7. I like singing.
8. I like crafts.
9. I like reading mysteries, American Girl books, and books by Laura Ingalls Wilder.
10. I like to eat macaroni and cheese and cheese pizza.
11. I have best friends named Taylor, Summar, and Sarah.
12. I want to grow up to be a mom.
13. I always sing the song Sweet Baby James by James Taylor and You Belong With Me by Taylor Swift.
14. I can do a pull around circle on the bar at gymnastics class.
15. I am learning how to write my name in cursive.
16. I like to play outside.
17. I get mad when I can't do things and they are too hard.
18. I help my mom by babysitting Drew when my mom takes a shower.
19. I can't wait to start second grade.
20. I am going shopping in Atlanta, Georgia this weekend for my birthda.
21. I have red, white, and blue fingernails and toenails right now from the 4th of July.
22. I don't like pickles.
23. I really like ranch dressing and carrots.
24. I like to have Girl Time with Mommy when we go to Borders.
25. I like to walk to Maggie Moos for ice cream.
26. I like playing with my Kit and Ruthie dolls.
27. I have a nickname of "Sissy" from my brothers.
28. I like doing puzzles.
29. I wish that I could go to Decatur without sitting in the car for eight hours.
30. I am excited about turning seven.
31. I like jewelry and fancy stuff.
32. I am a beautiful, smart, sweet, funny little girl. (This one was written by my mommy!)
2. I like to eat french fries and cheeseburgers.
3. I like to listen to Magic Tree House books.
4. I like the Moolie and Barkley stories that my daddy tells me.
5. I like to play moving parts animals and drink pretend coffee with Grandpa.
6. I like to play Little Big Planet and Lego Batman with my dad.
7. I like to play with Gracie.
8. I can't fall asleep without a bedtime book.
9. I like to drink lemonade.
10. I like to listen to the songs Sweet Baby James and Lemonade.
11. I had too much fun in Alabama.
12. I am really good at drawing.
13. I like painting with watercolors.
14. I am not sure how kindergarten will be.
15. I like to jump on the trampoline at Nini and Papa's house.
16. I love all of my cousins.
17. I have penpal best friends names Hollis and Addison and Will.
18. I wrestle with my baby brother.
19. I am learning how to ride my bike without training wheels.
20. I like the colors green and blue.
21. I like Batman and Superman.
22. I don't like to eat mustard.
23. I think it is funny when Dad tells jokes.
24. I am excited about going to Gram and Grandpa's house and Nini and Papa's house.
25. I like to watch The Backyardigans.
26. I want to be an inventor when I grow up.
27. I have a good imagination.
28. I like playing stuffies.
29. I like to collect things.
30. I like McDonalds.
31. I like to climb the climbing tree in my front yard.
32. I am super-smart, funny, clever, imaginative, full-of-energy, sweet, and really handsome. (This one is written by my mommy.)
Sandi -- I count steps too, always have. It's been funny and a little eerie to see how much of my personality is apparently due to Ross Genes. Ben, you might be on to something with that nature vs. nurture thing!
1. I love my son more than anything. He is such a precious gift.
2. I love watching my son play baseball and if you know him ,then you know why.
3. I was thinking that this year was our 20th wedding anniversary and I figured out last night as I was fallng asleep that it's only our 19th anniversary.
4. I saw a rainbow in the eastern sky this morning. I never ceased to be amazed at the wonder of a rainbow.
5. I am a very disorganized person with an organized person inside of me that is trying to get out.
6. I think I may have ADHD...oh, look, a rabbit :)
7.I secretly envy Leslie and Ben because they live in the South.
8. I've always wanted to live in the South.
9. Wait, I did live in NC for one year, but I was too young and niave to appreciate it.
10. I love York Peppermint Patties but try not to buy them because it's hard to stop eating them.
11. I am trying to get back into an exercise routine. So far, I'm on day 2.
12. I hated school when I was a kid.
13. I love teaching school children.
14. I love to laugh with friends.
15. I was almost drunk on one glass of Chardonnay the other night.
16. I am so thankful the little girl from Louisiana, MO was safely returned unharmed to her family.
17. I am an extremely overprotective mother because of things like that.
18. I don't read the newspaper and like Leslie, I'm about to stop watching the news. I just want to hear the weather forecast.
19.I think I have carpal tunnel syndrome. I only notice it when I type a lot (like now).
20. I love Cardinals baseball~even when they blow a lead.
21.I want a pool in the backyard like the pool in the movie "The Wonderful Life". You know, the one that is hidden beneath the floor.
22.I hate to cook because I feel like most of my meals are boring.
23. I just looked up several recipes on CookingLight.com because I hate my boring cooking. :)
24. I also hate to grocery shop because I don't know what to buy because I hate to cook-see the vicious cycle?
25. I LOVE summer break~although it keeps getting shorter and shorter every year.
26. I always wanted more than one child but I truly feel that it is God's intention for us to have an only child.
27. I love homemade ice cream.
28. I love a good thunderstorm when I am safe and hunkered down in my house.
29. I love to shop for school supplies.
30.I love the days when I let my hair air-dry and I don't have to put on any makeup.
31. I love that my husband tells me I look fine without makeup and he MEANS it.
32. I cried at the end of Toy Story 3 and it still makes me sad when I think about it. It was an awesome movie, though!
Okay, so there you have it. My 32 random thoughts. Let me know if you think I'm a cuckoo bird, Leslie!
1. I love my son more than anything. He is such a precious gift.
2. I love watching my son play baseball and if you know him ,then you know why.
3. I was thinking that this year was our 20th wedding anniversary and I figured out last night as I was fallng asleep that it's only our 19th anniversary.
4. I saw a rainbow in the eastern sky this morning. I never ceased to be amazed at the wonder of a rainbow.
5. I am a very disorganized person with an organized person inside of me that is trying to get out.
6. I think I may have ADHD...oh, look, a rabbit :)
7.I secretly envy Leslie and Ben because they live in the South.
8. I've always wanted to live in the South.
9. Wait, I did live in NC for one year, but I was too young and niave to appreciate it.
10. I love York Peppermint Patties but try not to buy them because it's hard to stop eating them.
11. I am trying to get back into an exercise routine. So far, I'm on day 2.
12. I hated school when I was a kid.
13. I love teaching school children.
14. I love to laugh with friends.
15. I was almost drunk on one glass of Chardonnay the other night.
16. I am so thankful the little girl from Louisiana, MO was safely returned unharmed to her family.
17. I am an extremely overprotective mother because of things like that.
18. I don't read the newspaper and like Leslie, I'm about to stop watching the news. I just want to hear the weather forecast.
19.I think I have carpal tunnel syndrome. I only notice it when I type a lot (like now).
20. I love Cardinals baseball~even when they blow a lead.
21.I want a pool in the backyard like the pool in the movie "The Wonderful Life". You know, the one that is hidden beneath the floor.
22.I hate to cook because I feel like most of my meals are boring.
23. I just looked up several recipes on CookingLight.com because I hate my boring cooking. :)
24. I also hate to grocery shop because I don't know what to buy because I hate to cook-see the vicious cycle?
25. I LOVE summer break~although it keeps getting shorter and shorter every year.
26. I always wanted more than one child but I truly feel that it is God's intention for us to have an only child.
27. I love homemade ice cream.
28. I love a good thunderstorm when I am safe and hunkered down in my house.
29. I love to shop for school supplies.
30.I love the days when I let my hair air-dry and I don't have to put on any makeup.
31. I love that my husband tells me I look fine without makeup and he MEANS it.
32. I cried at the end of Toy Story 3 and it still makes me sad when I think about it. It was an awesome movie, though!
Okay, so there you have it. My 32 random thoughts. Let me know if you think I'm a cuckoo bird, Leslie!
1. Leslie always thinks about others first, even when we are at a dinner or vacation she can't have fun unless everyone else is.
2. Leslie could do anything that she wants to work wise but chooses to things to help others (teacher, mother, vollunteering, etc..)
3. Leslie was a great teacher at school and is for our 3 kids.
4. Leslie is a great friend and listener.
5. Leslie doesn't BS people. She means what she says and doesn't waste time.
6. Leslie has NEVER gotten a ice cream headache (she is like a crazy superhero.)
7. Leslie puts a lot time, thought and effort into EVERYTHING she does.
8. Leslie is a great mom who is patient and loving and focused on creating great people.
9. Leslie is a great travel partner, willing to explore even though it is against her typical nature.
10. Leslie has a twin separated at birth with Kelly Miller. Their similarities are scary sometimes.
11. Leslie has impeccable teeth.
12. Leslie's dream is to open a store selling quality house decorations and accessories, and I have no doubt that she will do it some time.
13. Leslie is much stronger than she appears. I often get home to find a very large piece of furniture moved all the way across the house.
14. Leslie makes beautiful kids (even when strapped with a goon of a partner)
15. Leslie makes very deep friendships.
16. Leslie used to be a very good softball player (both high school and beer league.)
17. Leslie has turned into a very good cook (even though she isn't crazy about it)
18. Leslie can look fancy and very pretty even while wearing something simple.
19. Leslie can't remeber names very well but she can remember details in depth of things that are important.
20. Leslie has never been crude in her life.
21. Leslie has a much nicer singing voice than anyone (besides the kid) will ever know.
22. Leslie tries as hard as she can to not be a burden on anyone.
23. Leslie is a very good cannoer and spent 2 seperate weeks in the wilderness cannoeing in high school.
24. Leslie takes great pictures and has an eye for the root of and beauty in things.
25. Leslie is always trying get better while never being unsatisfied or down about it.
26. Leslie has plans that work out very well the majority of the time.
27. Leslie is very fun to dance with.
28. Leslie makes our houses a great home (both with decorations and attitude/love)
29. Leslie has great ballance and can still stand on her for a really long time.
30. Leslie hates drama and doesn't waste your or her time dealing with it.
31. Leslie is very intuitive about situations and people. We often leave someplace and she explain what happened and why it happened when I am completely oblivious to it.
32. Leslie works hard to keep close with the people she really loves.
The Ross genes are very dominant (take a look at everyone's teeth!) Thanks for admitting the counting thing. A good friend once told me that if it weren't for those of us with OCD, nothing would ever get done.
Leslie,
Maybe we should start a "No to Kindle" page on FB.
Ben,
Everyone should have a husband just like you. Sandi
The Nook lets me immediately download a book that I want - instant gratification is what I am all about! You can browse Barnes and Noble for new books or old books and even read an excerpt before you buy. I know that I can do that at the library, but getting new books at the library is hard and I'm really bad at getting books back on time.
I'm hoping that sometime in the future you will be able to borrow books for a week or two for the Nook. You can already share books - so if you had a Nook - I could magically transfer books that I have bought from my Nook to yours.
Two more things:
1.)I can change the font size so that it's really BIG, so as I get older and more blind, I can still read.
2.)My new case has a built in book light so that I can read in the dark.
I rest my case...
I agree with Sandi - that Ben is a pretty good guy. I take no credit - I simply loved him a whole lot from the minute he got here. Pretty easy to do!
Thanks for a great Blog, Les. Love you bunches.
Patti
And you should take credit for Ben, and Bryan and Bridget as well. They are all kind, thoughtful adults. And as Mother always said, they didn't lick it up off the floor.
Sandi
I love to get up early in the morning before everyone else and just listen to nothing.
I am a total news junkie good and bad I love it all!
I love my new apple computer next to Don it is my new best friend.....I know that sounds pathetic!
I loved being a mom to two great kids who I would like even if they weren't mine.
I have been so blessed to have the best husband and
partner for 37 years.
I am thrilled to be called "Mimi" now by my little Emma and soon to be Lyla.
I am glad that my dad and I had "our moment" in the hospital 6 yrs ago and were able to make our peace.
I never look at a tomatoe cantalope or strawberry that I don't think of my dad.
I love to travel and want to back to Europe and see Ireland.
I am grateful for my childhood and having all this extended crazy family around which made me feel safe.
I love my 4 dogs! Cannot imagine what I would of done without them over the last few years. They give so much and ask for so little.
I am happy we have not moved in two years!
I like living in the south I love the accents and the traditions!
I love to talk to Katie! She has a wicked sense of humor she makes me laugh!
I love the gentle soul Kevin is and his love of family.
I adore my daughter and son-in-law I could not of picked any better.
I miss my dad's pickled beets and bread and butter pickles!
I miss my dad!
I miss my Aunt Babe my friend. I have so much to tell her.
I have no regrets I wouldn't have done anything different except maybe been a better student.
I am so glad we don't live in Iowa!
I don't miss working everyday!
I do miss not getting a paycheck!
Well its not 32 but its all I could think of
Sally