random sleepy thoughts on pork
It is late and I am sitting up at my parent's house waiting on BBQ to bake when I really would rather be sleeping like everyone else in the house.
I am headed on a canoe trip this weekend with fifteen friends. Each person or couple was assigned a food contribution for the weekend. Ben and I were assigned dessert on Friday night and meat for Saturday evening. This has caused me more stress than it should have for many reasons-
1. The Friday night meat-takers called dibs on hamburgers, hot dogs, and brats. I had to get creative.
2. I don't eat a lot of meat, so I am not that comfortable cooking it. Ben, on the other hand, has a self-proclaimed "meat tooth." It would have been so nice to hand this task over to Ben, but he is busy all week in Louisville.
3. Being responsible for the meal of fifteen other people is kind of scary. There is no Pizza Hut to call if I screw up dinner.
4. The meat really needed to be something that can be cooked quickly or prepared ahead of time since by the time we all get off the river after a full day of canoeing and drinking, people are ready to eat. Now.
After stressing out a bit, I decided to attempt baking pulled pork sandwiches for the first time. To be honest, it hasn't been that difficult, but it has been so darn time-consuming that I want to pull my hair out! From 2:30 this afternoon when I went to buy the ingredients to 4:00 when the pork went into the oven to now and what now totals seven hours of baking and checking and waiting. I just keep thinking that this is way too much work for a sandwich! Give me a PBJ and be done with it. Seriously.
Ben would disagree. He love food and enjoys the cooking process. This is a fundamental difference between us. To me, if you are going to spend seven hours of your life making something, it should be something that will last longer than twenty minutes. To him, a good meal is worth seven hours of prep.
I am headed on a canoe trip this weekend with fifteen friends. Each person or couple was assigned a food contribution for the weekend. Ben and I were assigned dessert on Friday night and meat for Saturday evening. This has caused me more stress than it should have for many reasons-
1. The Friday night meat-takers called dibs on hamburgers, hot dogs, and brats. I had to get creative.
2. I don't eat a lot of meat, so I am not that comfortable cooking it. Ben, on the other hand, has a self-proclaimed "meat tooth." It would have been so nice to hand this task over to Ben, but he is busy all week in Louisville.
3. Being responsible for the meal of fifteen other people is kind of scary. There is no Pizza Hut to call if I screw up dinner.
4. The meat really needed to be something that can be cooked quickly or prepared ahead of time since by the time we all get off the river after a full day of canoeing and drinking, people are ready to eat. Now.
After stressing out a bit, I decided to attempt baking pulled pork sandwiches for the first time. To be honest, it hasn't been that difficult, but it has been so darn time-consuming that I want to pull my hair out! From 2:30 this afternoon when I went to buy the ingredients to 4:00 when the pork went into the oven to now and what now totals seven hours of baking and checking and waiting. I just keep thinking that this is way too much work for a sandwich! Give me a PBJ and be done with it. Seriously.
Ben would disagree. He love food and enjoys the cooking process. This is a fundamental difference between us. To me, if you are going to spend seven hours of your life making something, it should be something that will last longer than twenty minutes. To him, a good meal is worth seven hours of prep.
Comments
Have a great time on your trip.
Sandi
Have fun at Canoeapalooza!