things making me smile this week--

1. Katie had a sweet friend over for playtime this week and they had a ball. Not a single moment was free of play and giggle and talk for five hours straight. Thankful for friendship.

2. THE SUN IS OUT THIS MORNING!! I am bummed that six days of constant rain ruined our camping plans for the weekend and don't love the mess it made in our basement, but it does make you appreciate the sunshine.

3. We have a call in to a painter to get put on his summer list. We've been wanting to paint the exterior of the house since we moved in and although we are pretty good with a paintbrush, the steep slopes of our complicated roofline put painting it ourselves just out of our skill set. I can not wait to see this house with a fresh paint job!

4. It was a big week for orders for my shop. White Rabbit placed a third big order, The Novel Neighbor called to place a second order, and I had many, many custom orders placed. It has made for lots of hours of painting, but it feels good that my little business is doing well.

5. Ben and I have been stealing time together more and more lately. Not anything big- a walk here, a trip to Lowe's there.... but it is really so very nice to have the kids getting older and becoming less reliant on us. I miss babies (truly... so much that it hurts sometimes when I look at a picture of one of my four as a baby...), but there are perks to older kids.

6. Similarly, Gracie had her first outside of the family babysitting gig this week for our friends/neighbors. It was a perfect first job as it was just two hours and the baby was napping for most of it, so she played games and danced with the kindergarten-aged older sister. She was quite proud of herself and thrilled with the ten bucks she came home with!

7. I just finished binge watching "The Fosters" and really enjoyed it. Having a show I like to watch is crucial around here for the weeks that Ben is away for work. Once 9:30 hits and everyone else is asleep for the night, if I don't sit down to read or watch a show, I stay up waaayyyy too late and then pay for it the entire next day. Because kids still wake up bright and early no matter what time their mama goes to bed the night before.

8. I made my own chalk paint this week! After years of spending big bucks on Annie Sloan chalk paint (which is worth every penny, but hard on the pocketbook at the rate I was going through it!), I decided to give making my own a shot. It's not quite as good as the good stuff, but since it is pretty darn close, I am going to give it a shot all this week.

9. Drew had a total wipe out on his bike this week and busted his leg open pretty good. While this obviously did not make me smile, the reaction of his siblings sure did. They were all so sweet to him. For the rest of the day, they were waiting on him and keeping him company as he took it easy. Gracie kept kissing the top of his head and checking on him. Luke was happy to be his human crutch. Katie was worried about him. They don't always get along, but I love moments when it is clear just how much they love one another.

10. Drew has been taking piano lessons this summer and is doing really well. Brigitta originally proposed fifteen minute lessons each week for him, but after a few lessons, Drew requested thirty minute lessons like Grace and Luke so that he could learn more songs. I know I must sound like a broken record when I say this so often, but it makes me so happy to have the sound of the kids playing piano running through the house. Money spent on music lessons is money well spent.

Comments

Popular Posts