{Monday mornings with my littles}
I really like Monday mornings. Since Sunday is usually a day of family activity, Mondays are a day of catching up on laundry, on cleaning, and on tasks around the house. Drew has no school, so he and Katie are buds for the day. Short of running Gracie and Luke to and from school, we don't typically go anywhere all day. There are many Mondays that the two of them stay in their pajamas until it is time for school pick up at three.
It makes me so, so happy to watch the two of them play together on these mornings, the only time of the week when it is just them. (Although Drew only goes to school half-day, Kate naps in the afternoons, so they don't play much together on those days.) Drew likes to think he is older than he really is since he has been trying to keep up with Luke since he was just toddling around, but when he plays with Katie and there are no older kids around, he gets to be little. I love it.
Right now the two of them are playing with a bag of pine cones. For the length of time it has taken me to start a load of laundry, fix a cup of coffee, check email, and write this post, they have been running laps around the center of the house (If I could somehow measure the miles that have been run around this "track" since we moved in, I am pretty sure they would equal a marathon!) They are each wearing a hat from the dress up box and this is somehow related to the gathering of pine cones into felt pumpkin bags. Each lap equals three pinecones from what I can gather. At certain times they change direction with their laps and at some point stuffed animals become involved. I am clueless, but it makes sense to them.
I try not to think about Drew starting kindergarten next year- the third of my babies to be gone all day, every day. I know for certain that I will look back longingly on mornings just like this one.

Comments