a new normal

I was sitting in the loft this morning nursing Drew and reading Halloween books to Gracie and Luke (one-handed reading- my new talent!) and realized that we have settled into a new normal for us. After all of my sleepless nights and worry about all of the changes, it only took about a month to feel our way through everything (new baby, new preschool, kindergarten, etc.). Phew.

Our new normal isn't completely different than our old routine, but a lot has changed.

  • We used to take baths in the evening. We now take baths in the morning. This probably doesn't sound like a major change to some of you, but it is weird to change the way we've done something for five years.
  • We used to be dressed by 8:30 a.m. Now we are usually in our pajamas until about ten.
  • We used to have what the kids call "Mommy preschool" time each day where we'd do about an hour of some kind of learning activity. Now...not as much. Sadly, the kids ask for this often. We'll have to work this back in since it was something we all enjoyed.
  • I used to have much more time to email, blog, scrapbook, read, etc. when the kids were happily occupied with one another. Now I spend the time that Drew doesn't need me with Gracie and Luke. Time for myself will have to be worked back into the schedule somehow.

  • Gracie, Luke, and I used to run any errands or do any grocery shopping we needed throughout the day. Now I try to do all of this on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday afternoons while Gracie and Luke are both at school. I have tried to grocery shop with all three kids just once, and it wasn't the smoothest experience. The kids were all fine- but with two kids in the cart, where do you put the groceries?
  • Ben and I used to hang out together in the evenings after the kids were asleep. 8:00 to 11:00 was ours to talk, watch TiVo, work on projects, etc. For the past three weeks, this time has looked much different: Ben has been crazy busy with work and has been on his laptop during this time and I have been trying to keep on top of laundry, cleaning, etc.
  • My bedtime has changed from about midnight to ten since I can count on a pretty good stretch of sleep from Drew during this time.

These are just the first changes that come to mind. Luke and I both hate change, but we're doing well. Bathtime is over for Gracie and Luke, so computer time is now over for me....

Comments

indyhumes said…
I was just talking about all the things I have learned to do with one hand!

Popular Posts