special people

Luke was so lucky to have had some great teachers in his four years at Bristol. All were great, but this teacher, Mrs. Clifton, was the best.


Renee Clifton was Luke's gifted teacher for his four years at Bristol. He spent 1/3 of his time at school in her classroom. This means that over the years, Luke has spent more time with her than any other adult in his life besides his parents and grandparents. What a lucky kid.

Renee challenged Luke and encouraged Luke and helped his confidence grow. She not only tolerated his endless questions about everything (!), but encouraged them. She helped his presentation skills. She helped his writing skills. She introduced him to debate. She gave him time and resources to pursue his interests. She gave him countless opportunities for critical thinking.

As we said goodbye to her this week, she was noticeably emotional. It was touching and made this momma so happy to see such a strong connection between the two of them.

I will admit to tearing up last night too as I read over the note that she wrote to Luke. I share here for posterity and to highlight a wonderful educator who clearly knows and loves her students. We were blessed to have gotten to work with her for so many years and fortunate too that now Drew is one of her kiddos.

From Mrs. Clifton-

Luke, 

It has been an honor watching you grow over the years. Your confidence has grown tremendously from when I first met you in second grade. I have no doubt that you are ready to tackle whatever comes your way now. Each week you brought a positive attitude, smile, and excellent work ethic to class. I love your tenaciousness in sticking with a challenge and your ability to take an idea, develop it, and execute it well. In addition, you explain and defend your position well when others don't see how you arrived at a solution. You have a natural leadership ability which is why you are able to help the group see the "big picture" and move forward. You lead by example and with respect. This motivates people and is to be commended. Anyone would be lucky to be your friend or classmate. You really are the whole package, Luke: smart, kind, funny, creative... the list could go on and on. Your kind heart, good judgement, intelligence, determination, and people skills will take you far in whatever you choose to do. I especially love that you have strong convictions about what is right and wrong and that you are not afraid to stand firm. remember to always dream and work hard to make those dreams a reality. Also remember that taking a little help when you need it is a good thing and that everyone needs a little help from time to time. Any time a future student refuses a "hint", I will think of you. :) Please stay in touch and come back to visit me. 

With love,
Mrs. Clifton


Comments

Popular Posts