I have been spending the past thirty minutes going though school papers, emails, and mail that has collected over the past week. I am struck by how many requests have been coming in lately for items to be sent in to school. It's not much individually- a jar of peanut butter here, $5 there, some ribbon one day, a box of cereal another- but it seems to be becoming more and more frequent. It feels like there is always something- some fundraiser, some T shirt for sale, some supply requested, some donation needed, some volunteer time requested. I would say that we participate 90% of the time on a classroom level and 75% of the time on a school level, but it is starting to feel like too much.
My annoyance at the moment is coming from an email I just got from the faculty liaison of the service club Gracie is a part of. I had just responded at the bottom of a flyer that Gracie brought home requesting that I send in a dozen donuts on March 7 for the 4th grade Donuts & Dads fundraiser. Keep in mind that Gracie isn't even in fourth grade. I marked the little box that said we would bring the donuts in and was going to have Gracie turn it in tomorrow. Moments later, I got an email that said, " I am sad at the low response I have received from parents of K-Kids regarding donut donations. I know we can do better than this."
It rubbed me the wrong way. I am usually pretty happy to donate my time and/or materials where they are needed. But if I do it, I do it because I want to, not because I have to or am made to feel guilty if I don't.
Each and every time I go into our local grocery store, I am asked if I would like to donate a dollar to a childrens' hospital. I used to say yes every time because I felt like what kind of person can't give a dollar to sick children? But then I realized I was giving three o four dollars a week, each and every week. Sometimes I decline now and I am struck at the less than warm reaction I get from the cashier. It's the same feeling I got as I read the email this morning.
(There is no point to this post, really, just sharing some thoughts while Katie eats her breakfast next to me. )
My annoyance at the moment is coming from an email I just got from the faculty liaison of the service club Gracie is a part of. I had just responded at the bottom of a flyer that Gracie brought home requesting that I send in a dozen donuts on March 7 for the 4th grade Donuts & Dads fundraiser. Keep in mind that Gracie isn't even in fourth grade. I marked the little box that said we would bring the donuts in and was going to have Gracie turn it in tomorrow. Moments later, I got an email that said, " I am sad at the low response I have received from parents of K-Kids regarding donut donations. I know we can do better than this."
It rubbed me the wrong way. I am usually pretty happy to donate my time and/or materials where they are needed. But if I do it, I do it because I want to, not because I have to or am made to feel guilty if I don't.
Each and every time I go into our local grocery store, I am asked if I would like to donate a dollar to a childrens' hospital. I used to say yes every time because I felt like what kind of person can't give a dollar to sick children? But then I realized I was giving three o four dollars a week, each and every week. Sometimes I decline now and I am struck at the less than warm reaction I get from the cashier. It's the same feeling I got as I read the email this morning.
(There is no point to this post, really, just sharing some thoughts while Katie eats her breakfast next to me. )
Comments
Nobody is as hard on us as we our ourselves. Times are getting harder and the request for time and money are getting more frequent. Give of both when you can, and prayers when you can't.
As for the second e-mail about the faculty liaison being "sad at the low response", It would have rubbed me the wrong way too. I find it hard to believe that the fourth graders and their Dad's could eat all of the donuts, if everybody responded. Those have got to be some FAT fourthgraders :)
I miss you and am getting anxious for our trip in a few weeks.
Love Dad