{12 on the 12th- February 2012}
1. I have a case of the Mondays. It is hard to get going today. It is such an adjustment each week to go from all six of us having fun over the weekend to just Drew and I in a quiet house on Monday mornings when Katie is napping. He feels it too. Thankfully, by mid-morning we've usually adjusted.
2. It has been cold here. Which, of course, is normal since it is winter, but we just haven't had to deal with too many low temperatures yet this year. The news has been pointing out that "the big blizzard of '93" happened in March after a mild winter just like this. Ben has his fingers crossed that there is some truth to this. He also really hopes everyone is correct in claiming that a winter this mild means a hot, hot summer. You have a different outlook on the weather when your salary is based on HVAC sales, I guess.
3. Katie took a bottle from me last night!!!! This is deserving of four exclamation points because she has flat out refused a bottle from anyone for months. Ben and I are going away this weekend and Katie will be a happier baby girl (and Nini will be a happier grandma) with a few bottles. Now to see if she'll do it again today....
4. I think it is a bit funny that when I got on the scale this morning I have officially hit my pre-baby weight..... right as Katie turns nine months old next weekend. I guess there is some truth to the saying "nine months to slowly put on the weight and nine months to slowly take it off." It has never actually taken nine months before, but I have to admit that I haven't been working on it nearly as much as I should have.
5. Ben and I have been working on a couple of projects around the house that I look forward to completing. Our basement has a little neglected kitchen area that we've been sprucing up a bit, and the sad, beat up table in our dining room is in the middle of a face lift.
6. Yesterday I got the giggles really bad in the middle of trying to discipline my strong-willed baby boy. He was throwing a fit, so I put him in his room. I told him he could come out once he was ready to be kinder. He kept screaming and coming out of the room and each time I would pick him up and put him back in the room. After six times, I said, "Drew, I will win this struggle." He started crying even harder and wailed, "THIS IS NOT A FUN GAME!" I don't know if this is funny in the retell, but oh my goodness, was it funny at the time! Thankfully, I contained my laughter until I walked away from him.
7. Katie has discovered how to pull up on furniture and she is into everything! The coffee table in the living room is about to be put away for a few months because it is at just the wrong height and feels like forehead or chin stitches waiting to happen. We had to take the wooden rockers off of the stuffed rocking chair in her nursery for the same reason. We knew from unfortunate experience what a danger they posed.
8. Yesterday afternoon Luke and I sat and read a book together and had a great conversation about it. But then our babysitter arrived and he began showing off. Later he was helpful with Katie and played so sweetly with Drew, but then when we Skyped with my parents a bit later, he had no control over himself. Thirty minutes later, he and I sat in Katie's room playing checkers and I was struck by how calm, mature, and fun to hang out with he was once again. Ben and I struggle with this all of the time- how can our kids be the kids we know and appreciate when it is just us, but the second we add others to the mix, they become different? (It's not just Luke, Gracie turns up the attitude a bit more in the presence of others as well, becoming just a bit more tween than we like.) We want others to see the same kids we get to see. I've tried to explain this to them, but it's not sinking in.
9. A friend and I were thinking of putting together a monthly craft night. We think it would be fun to get a group of women together to get to talk and craft without the interruption of our kids. We haven't decided if everyone would bring their own thing to work on (scrapbooking, knitting, paining, whatever...) or if the host would be responsible for each month's craft. I am pretty darn excited about this idea!
10. I resisted Pinterest for a while, but now I am officially hooked. Just what I need- another way to waste time on my laptop!
11. I am starting to feel so at home and happy in Knoxville. I fear this means we'll be moving soon. I'm only kind of kidding.
12. Vacations aren't the same once you have kids, are they? We leave on Friday to spend 72 hours with our best friends in a gorgeous house in Nashville, but instead of feeling excited, I am dreading leaving the kids. They will be in great hands and won't even notice I'm gone, I know, but it's still hard to leave them. That being said, I can't thank Patti and Paul enough for volunteering to drive here and spend the weekend with them. This getaway (and some sleep!) will be wonderful. I am so appreciative of the chance to go, despite any sadness I'm feeling.
2. It has been cold here. Which, of course, is normal since it is winter, but we just haven't had to deal with too many low temperatures yet this year. The news has been pointing out that "the big blizzard of '93" happened in March after a mild winter just like this. Ben has his fingers crossed that there is some truth to this. He also really hopes everyone is correct in claiming that a winter this mild means a hot, hot summer. You have a different outlook on the weather when your salary is based on HVAC sales, I guess.
3. Katie took a bottle from me last night!!!! This is deserving of four exclamation points because she has flat out refused a bottle from anyone for months. Ben and I are going away this weekend and Katie will be a happier baby girl (and Nini will be a happier grandma) with a few bottles. Now to see if she'll do it again today....
4. I think it is a bit funny that when I got on the scale this morning I have officially hit my pre-baby weight..... right as Katie turns nine months old next weekend. I guess there is some truth to the saying "nine months to slowly put on the weight and nine months to slowly take it off." It has never actually taken nine months before, but I have to admit that I haven't been working on it nearly as much as I should have.
5. Ben and I have been working on a couple of projects around the house that I look forward to completing. Our basement has a little neglected kitchen area that we've been sprucing up a bit, and the sad, beat up table in our dining room is in the middle of a face lift.
6. Yesterday I got the giggles really bad in the middle of trying to discipline my strong-willed baby boy. He was throwing a fit, so I put him in his room. I told him he could come out once he was ready to be kinder. He kept screaming and coming out of the room and each time I would pick him up and put him back in the room. After six times, I said, "Drew, I will win this struggle." He started crying even harder and wailed, "THIS IS NOT A FUN GAME!" I don't know if this is funny in the retell, but oh my goodness, was it funny at the time! Thankfully, I contained my laughter until I walked away from him.
7. Katie has discovered how to pull up on furniture and she is into everything! The coffee table in the living room is about to be put away for a few months because it is at just the wrong height and feels like forehead or chin stitches waiting to happen. We had to take the wooden rockers off of the stuffed rocking chair in her nursery for the same reason. We knew from unfortunate experience what a danger they posed.
8. Yesterday afternoon Luke and I sat and read a book together and had a great conversation about it. But then our babysitter arrived and he began showing off. Later he was helpful with Katie and played so sweetly with Drew, but then when we Skyped with my parents a bit later, he had no control over himself. Thirty minutes later, he and I sat in Katie's room playing checkers and I was struck by how calm, mature, and fun to hang out with he was once again. Ben and I struggle with this all of the time- how can our kids be the kids we know and appreciate when it is just us, but the second we add others to the mix, they become different? (It's not just Luke, Gracie turns up the attitude a bit more in the presence of others as well, becoming just a bit more tween than we like.) We want others to see the same kids we get to see. I've tried to explain this to them, but it's not sinking in.
9. A friend and I were thinking of putting together a monthly craft night. We think it would be fun to get a group of women together to get to talk and craft without the interruption of our kids. We haven't decided if everyone would bring their own thing to work on (scrapbooking, knitting, paining, whatever...) or if the host would be responsible for each month's craft. I am pretty darn excited about this idea!
10. I resisted Pinterest for a while, but now I am officially hooked. Just what I need- another way to waste time on my laptop!
11. I am starting to feel so at home and happy in Knoxville. I fear this means we'll be moving soon. I'm only kind of kidding.
12. Vacations aren't the same once you have kids, are they? We leave on Friday to spend 72 hours with our best friends in a gorgeous house in Nashville, but instead of feeling excited, I am dreading leaving the kids. They will be in great hands and won't even notice I'm gone, I know, but it's still hard to leave them. That being said, I can't thank Patti and Paul enough for volunteering to drive here and spend the weekend with them. This getaway (and some sleep!) will be wonderful. I am so appreciative of the chance to go, despite any sadness I'm feeling.
Comments