Christmas 2019
With Thanksgiving being so late in the year, the 2019 Christmas season felt like it sped by. I love this time of year and am always a little sad once the Christmas decorations come down and the kids return to school. This year's Christmas was an exceptionally good one. The way the calendar fell caused a pretty long break from school, so it almost felt like a four part break: Christmas in St. Louis, Christmas in Decatur, post-Christmas/down time/New Year's in St. Louis, and then our Minnesota Christmas getaway.
Starting with a few fun Christmas activities we enjoyed leading up to Christmas-
![]() |
| Kate and I both really like her third grade teacher, Ms. Daniels. |
We were lucky to have snow right before Christmas, giving us a couple snow days off of school.
We warmed up from playing in the snow by making gingerbread houses together.
Patti got Kate and I tickets to see Wicked for Christmas. The entire experience couldn't have been better- we had amazing seats, the Fox was decorated so beautifully for Christmas, and Kate loved the show. She requested our Alexa to play "Wicked" songs for the next week almost constantly.
![]() |
| Christmas is a fun time to be a preschool teacher. |
We enjoyed a couple of evenings out with friends in the time leading up to Christmas as well. Some friends of ours hosted a Music Night in their home and invited many of their musical friends (and us ;)) to come over for music and drinks. The performances and sing alongs and hot drinks made for the nicest evening.
![]() |
![]() |
| Ben caught this for me. Love that she still loves to cuddle. Soon she won't fit on my lap anymore, so I'm holding tight to these moments when I am given them. |
![]() |
| We dug the VCR out of storage and hooked it up in the den to watch some Christmas movies from the 80s's. Kate and Drew were not impressed. ;) |
And our Christmas in St. Louis....
For as long as we've been married, Ben and I have traveled to Decatur on Christmas Eve. In order to have our own Christmas too, we've needed to adopt December 23 as our Christmas with just us. The traditions have evolved over the years as the kids have gotten older. When they were little, the day was mostly about cookies and presents and Christmas movies. I love what the day has now become, including lunch on the Hill, candlelight service at church, and ice skating at Steinberg. This year we even threw in a new coffee house and a little last minute Christmas shopping at our favorite little book store. Of course we still enjoy making the Christmas cookies, opening presents, and watching a movie together! I miss babies, but big kids and teenagers sure are a lot of fun.
Our family Christmas day-
![]() |
The days following Christmas were incredibly laid back. Luke stayed in Decatur for some extra time with my parents. Gracie had almost- constant friend plans. Ben and I were content to relax at home and spend time with each other and our littles after a very busy few weeks of travel for Ben. Kate and Drew each had a sleepover, something we don't really do much of for them yet. Drew was in a basketball tournament. Kate and I created some things. I organized my new office space now that Ben has moved himself out to the garage (his choice) and we no longer share a space. We prepped some things for a New Year's Day party we were hosting. We gathered things we would need for our trip to Minnesota. We stayed up late and slept in (which in my world means sleeping until 7:45...) and spent entire days in comfy, perfect- for- being- lazy clothes. I read five books. I dug out my old scrapbooking supplies. It was relaxing and cozy and resting.













































Comments