the state of our new house

Moving is such an undertaking. Everything you own is thrown into boxes and you have to find a new spot for it in a new house. It kind of seems like it shouldn't be that hard, right? You just open the box, take everything out, and place the contents in a new spot. Unless I am doing it wrong, though, it is 1,000 times more complicated than that.

Each day we are here, we are a fraction more settled. Each hour that I work on an area makes it feel a bit more like ours. But we still have so much to do. It gets really overwhelming if I let it. There are still boxes scattered throughout the house. Even worse, there are contents of boxes placed in piles around the house. Ben and I keep joking that all we've done for a week now is move one pile after another. There are walls half painted. A lot of walls half painted. I have real issues in this area. I am so excited to see what a color is going to look like that I start painting, but then run out of time/steam and move on to another project. Or I paint part of a room because I need to hang a curtain rod there or place a heavy piece of furniture there. It's really bad how many rollers and paintbrushes I have rolled up in Target bags scattered throughout the house.

We are trying furniture in different spots. Our dining room table is in the third room we've tried so far. We moved a piano last night to another room. Not a fun undertaking. All four kids are still camped out in one bedroom with Luke's and Drew's rooms still out of commission.  Our three piece sectional couch is in two different rooms of the house. There is absolutely nothing in the big finished room of the basement at the moment since we are having flooring installed soon, so everything that was in there is now crammed into my laundry area (including a pool table).

There are cabinets on the deck outside waiting to be picked up by someone buying them off of us. (There was a wet bar in the living room. I am not a fan of wet bars.) There are blinds on the front porch being picked up by someone who would like them. Until this afternoon, there were 105 green plastic moving totes sitting in our driveway waiting to be picked up. The garbage cans are overflowing, there is a huge stack of cardboard waiting to be recycled/passed on, and there is still garbage left behind from the previous owner sitting at the side of the house to be set at the curb. (There was already so much last week that I couldn't set it all out. Nice of him to leave us trash, huh?)

Bear is still on a chain when he wants to go outside because I haven't had time to install the electric fence. There are little flags all over our yard where the cable is being installed, but the company has not come back to place the cable under the ground yet. The basketball hoop keeps falling over in the wind, so we finally just left it sideways until we can solve the issue.

There are few windows in the house with their curtains. There is a plastic basement shelving unit in the middle of the kitchen as we wait to figure out a pantry situation. There are toys and coats and shoes and backpacks and books everywhere because the kids haven't yet embraced the mudroom and toy corner I have set up for them.

It is hard to prepare a meal in the kitchen because it seems to always be covered with tools and paint and mail and everything else. The kitchen counters seem to have become the number one catch-all in this house.

and so on and so on and so on.

We will get there, I know this.  We've done it before.

But, man, am I ready to feel settled.

Comments

Popular Posts