my Drew












Oh how I love this kid, and oh how he keeps me humble as a parent. If ever I start to think I have this mothering gig down pat, I can always count on Drew to put me in my place.

He is such a strong personality. Smart, funny, sweet, and stubborn. Sensitive, tough, anxious, and self-confident.  He seems so outwardly sure of himself that most people would never guess the constant worry that goes on in that crazy-smart mind of his. (Last week, for example, he came to my room looooong after he should have been asleep to tell me he couldn't sleep because he couldn't stop thinking about our house catching on fire. "What if I don't hear the smoke detector? What if you don't hear the smoke detector? What if the batteries don't work in the smoke detector? What if I can't come downstairs? What if I know I should jump out the window but I just can't make myself do it? What if I can't get the window open? What if Bear can't get out of his crate?" and so on and so on for minutes.)

Some days I can marvel to myself at how mature he is becoming and then, in the same afternoon- the same HOUR, even-  want to scream in frustration at his behavior. Tonight at Target, he pulled me aside to whisper in my ear, "Can you give me some of my allowance? I want to buy Katie that big box of crayons." Sweetest child ever, right? But no.  Five minutes later, frustration about being asked to hold Grace's hand in the parking lot turned into eye rolling, backtalking, and stomping. He made the entire drive home unpleasant for all of us because I had the nerve to suggest that he hold Gracie's hand in a busy parking lot. And, let's clarify here... he has always done this with no issue. Why this mattered all of the sudden tonight, I have no clue. Such is life with Drew.

I've never met a more strong willed child in my life. This fills me with pride sometimes and completely exasperates me at other times. My mom has said many times that Drew will go very far in life because of this strong will. I have to remind myself that it is a good trait.

I am crazy about this kid. He makes me laugh out loud at least once a day; Drew has a great sense of humor. It is not uncommon for other adults to comment on how funny he is after spending time with him. Another mom at our school came up to me last month and said, "Drew was in my small group on the field trip. He had me cracking up! What a clever kid!"

I am a complete sucker for that great, one of a kind, one-dimpled smile of his.  I love him so much that sometimes I feel an almost physical NEED to hug and kiss on him. He is my baby boy and I can not picture our family without the extra "spice" that Drew brings us.

But some weeks a little less "spice" wouldn't be such a bad thing. 

Comments

Bridget said…
Oh that Drew, he does make things interesting! But he is also totally hilarious sometimes
Nini said…
We do love our Drewbert! Just seeing the pictures makes me want to hug and kiss him. I don't know how you can resist him.

Popular Posts