I am laughing at myself this morning picturing the scene I might have made to anyone who happened to be watching me attempt to rescue a treasure from the side of the road.

When I was driving home from taking Gracie and Luke to school this morning, I spotted a huge wooden bookcase abandoned on the side of the road for trash pick up. I pulled over to inspect it and found it to be ugly but sturdy and in good condition. I knew a little paint would make it great for holding outside toys in our carport. I have been wanting something like it ever since we moved in, but there are always other things to spend money on.

I did some rearranging in the van, moving kids and car seats and placing two seats in the stow and go compartments. When I finally had everything ready, I went to lift the bookcase and almost nothing at all happened. The thing must have weighed more than I do! I knew it would be difficult, but I really wanted that bookcase, so I kept trying. After a couple more attempts,  I managed to lift one end barely onto the back of the van. I climbed inside- in a dress, no less- and tried to pull the rest of the bookcase into the van. No luck at all- the thing barely moved an inch!

I kept at it for a couple more minutes, but finally came to my senses and realized with a great deal of disappointment that the bookcase was not coming home with me.

Comments

Shannon said…
oh, I really wanted to laugh AND cheer with triumph with you. Bummer. Maybe it will still be there and you can drag a friend along to get it ;)

Popular Posts