{first week of pre-kindergarten}
Drew now has one week of pre-kindergarten (he protests if you call it preschool) under his belt. It wasn't the easiest of weeks, but each day got better. On day one, it was 10:00 before I got home. Day two was 9:42. Day three was 9:28. Today was 9:10. Hooray!
As we were walking home from school this afternoon after pick up, I told him how proud I was of him. I started to tell him how it was so great that he as able to overcome such a fear and that I was so happy with the way he walked right into the classroom today full of smiles and moved his attendance stick on his own (because he has flat out refused to touch his attendance stick, hang up his bag on his own, or put his folder into the "good morning" spot any other day of this week.... basically digging his heels at anything that meant he was ready to start his day at school. Have I mentioned that my kid has a stubborn streak?)
As I was gushing with pride to him, he looked me straight in the eye and told me it was no big deal. He then had the audacity to say, "It's not like it is hard to go to school or anything."
Um, okay, Drew. My bad. I guess I got the wrong idea yesterday when you grabbed onto the doorway of the classroom to avoid entering with me. Or when you hid behind me and refused to show your face for twenty minutes no matter how patiently your teachers tried to involve you. Or Tuesday when you pressed yourself against the wall of the hallway outside of your classroom trying to make yourself invisible.
But you're right.... today it was no big deal that you walked in full of confidence.
(Oh, Drew. Thanks for always, always keeping life interesting around here.)
As we were walking home from school this afternoon after pick up, I told him how proud I was of him. I started to tell him how it was so great that he as able to overcome such a fear and that I was so happy with the way he walked right into the classroom today full of smiles and moved his attendance stick on his own (because he has flat out refused to touch his attendance stick, hang up his bag on his own, or put his folder into the "good morning" spot any other day of this week.... basically digging his heels at anything that meant he was ready to start his day at school. Have I mentioned that my kid has a stubborn streak?)
As I was gushing with pride to him, he looked me straight in the eye and told me it was no big deal. He then had the audacity to say, "It's not like it is hard to go to school or anything."
Um, okay, Drew. My bad. I guess I got the wrong idea yesterday when you grabbed onto the doorway of the classroom to avoid entering with me. Or when you hid behind me and refused to show your face for twenty minutes no matter how patiently your teachers tried to involve you. Or Tuesday when you pressed yourself against the wall of the hallway outside of your classroom trying to make yourself invisible.
But you're right.... today it was no big deal that you walked in full of confidence.
(Oh, Drew. Thanks for always, always keeping life interesting around here.)
Comments